PDA

View Full Version : Question on inherited live rock

rstar
03-20-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm inheriting about 40lbs of live rock that is covered in green hair algae. I want to add it to my reef; should I nuke it first or would it be okay to add it right to my tank? Under all the algae there are some mushrooms\zoas/sponges.

e46er
03-20-2010, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't knowingly put anythingbad into my tank hair algae is a pain in the ass

bvlester
03-20-2010, 09:43 PM
I would pluck as much of the hair algae as i could and place in a seporate tank with no light for a few weeks add some hermit crabs and a sea hare for 1-2 weeks. then see what is on the rock.

Bill

infamous
03-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Turbo snails should help with the algae as well

Zoaelite
03-21-2010, 12:17 AM
If you have some hungry fish I would throw it right on in (Mind you I have a school of tangs to keep algae at bay). If you don't have animals that will clean it for you try the lights out trick that should work well for you.

naesco
03-21-2010, 01:11 AM
I'm inheriting about 40lbs of live rock that is covered in green hair algae. I want to add it to my reef; should I nuke it first or would it be okay to add it right to my tank? Under all the algae there are some mushrooms\zoas/sponges.

Borrow a sea hare from the LFS or another reefer.
Acclimate the sea hare very very carefully.
Place the rock in the corner of your tank and within a week or so your rocks will be blooming with mushrooms, zoas and spongers plus other neat stuff.

If you nuke it you kill everthing including the critters that live in the rock.

Tracey2
03-21-2010, 02:14 AM
Guys, would this mean the rock contains phosphates?

BlueAbyss
03-21-2010, 02:51 AM
Could mean that the rock has some phosphates. Could also be what the guy was feeding... which would mean some has worked into the rock.

If (that's IF) your tank is in good shape nutrient-wise (as in, consumes nutrients without a lot of algae), I would throw it right in, with light... the algae will consume itself out of food sooner than later. The sea-hare idea is also a good one, I agree with naesco on that one.

Madreefer
03-21-2010, 07:48 AM
If you got it for free than I would nuke it. Boil it. Just put in one rock every couple of weeks. It won't take long for stuff to start growing on it again. If your tank does'nt seem to have any problems than why introduce one to it.