PDA

View Full Version : Catching A Hitchhiker Crab?

infamous
03-20-2010, 03:48 AM
I have discovered a new "friend" in my tank. I was wondering what the best way to catch him would be so I can re-home him elsewhere. I am also curious as to what might happen to my other crabs/shrimp if they get caught in the same trap? (2 Hermit Crabs, 2 Pom Pom Crabs, 1 Peppermint Shrimp)

I'm not entirely sure he is a friendly guy and my Cleaner Shrimp has been missing for a couple days. I appreciate any comments and help!

freezetyle
03-20-2010, 03:55 AM
you could always place a bottle trap in there with some food just before lights out. by morning you should have an assortment of crabs in there. Pick out the good ones re-home the bad.

I have done this once or twice and haven't ever had a problem with them eating/fighting one another. Mine were all pretty tiny though

ScubaSteve
03-20-2010, 07:20 AM
+1 on a trap. Failing that, do as I did and shirts of dive in to that tank and rout that SOB out before he starts eating your prized live stock.

Norstar
03-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Kill it, kill it , kill it! :) Don't forget the mask and snorkel!

infamous
03-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the help. Looks like I'm going snorkeling! He's a fast little bugger so if I have to get in there, I'll probably have to tear it right down. I knew I should have at least done the bottle trap last night because now I can't see my Peppermint Shrimp! Hopeful thinking I suppose, but he's in for it now. Thanks again!