PDA

View Full Version : New Tank

Kevotron
03-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Thinking of replacing my current 120G with a 150G or bigger tank.....
how would i accomplish that ? since the new tank has to cycle for a month +.. and how much of my livestock would die in result of the move ??

Crytone
03-19-2010, 07:08 AM
If done right none of your livestock would die and you'd have no additional cycle on the new tank. Get the new tank and throw your rock and livestock in it, using your old water too so you shouldn't have to acclimate anything or stress anything out too much. Try to keep things in water and move it quickly and it should be fine. If you need more rock then you can either throw it in in small amounts or cycle it in a separate tank/tupperware bin (with a powerhead and heater) for a few weeks then add it.

Bloodasp
03-19-2010, 07:12 AM
or add base rock, cheaper and no cycling needed

Kevotron
03-19-2010, 07:23 AM
so basically i would need a container to hold 120G of my old water and rocks ...
hmmm
sounds not too difficult..

kien
03-19-2010, 07:35 AM
If your new tank is going to go where your old tank is, then yes, you will need a holding container. Personally this is what I would do (and have done many times).

Get a rubbermade tote or trash bin for rocks and one for water.
Take out rocks and put them in a container.
Take out water and put some in the container with the rocks and some in another tote/trash bin.
Net fish and put them in the container that has just water (make sure this container has a heater and a powerhead).
If you have sand put that in another container.
Now move out the old tank and place it on the floor or somewhere nearby.
Put the new tank in place.
If the new tank doesn't need much work (plumbing, etc), you can move everyone from the temporary bins back into the new tank.
However, if your new tank needs some work (plumbing, etc), that will take more than a day, you can put everything back into the old tank that is sitting nearby. This way you can throw in a heater and a couple of power heads and use it as a holding tank while the new tank is being worked on. Once the new tank is done then move everyone from the old tank to the new tank (water and all), and top up the new tank.

burgerchow
03-19-2010, 08:22 AM
go to home depot and buy 6 Brute garbage cans. Do the change in one night and return them in ( as new condition ) the next day.

Madreefer
03-19-2010, 02:29 PM
If your new tank is going to go where your old tank is, then yes, you will need a holding container. Personally this is what I would do (and have done many times).

Get a rubbermade tote or trash bin for rocks and one for water.
Take out rocks and put them in a container.
Take out water and put some in the container with the rocks and some in another tote/trash bin.
Net fish and put them in the container that has just water (make sure this container has a heater and a powerhead).
If you have sand put that in another container.
Now move out the old tank and place it on the floor or somewhere nearby.
Put the new tank in place.
If the new tank doesn't need much work (plumbing, etc), you can move everyone from the temporary bins back into the new tank.
However, if your new tank needs some work (plumbing, etc), that will take more than a day, you can put everything back into the old tank that is sitting nearby. This way you can throw in a heater and a couple of power heads and use it as a holding tank while the new tank is being worked on. Once the new tank is done then move everyone from the old tank to the new tank (water and all), and top up the new tank.

+1
Between moves and upgrades I have done this 6 times and have never lost a thing. Pretty easy but I seem to get alot of water every where. Fast = Messy

bvlester
03-19-2010, 04:56 PM
I've done it a couple of times the last one over a 2 day period by I had heaters and skimmers for rock and fish along with power heads. nothing went cold or with out circulation.

Bill

OceanicCorals-Ian-
03-19-2010, 10:13 PM
So I think I have an idea what kind of powerhead you are using on that tank! lol.

:lol:

Kevotron
03-19-2010, 10:16 PM
So I think I have an idea what kind of powerhead you are using on that tank! lol.

:lol:

Ummmm...a Maxijet 400 !!!!!! :razz: Lol

OceanicCorals-Ian-
03-19-2010, 10:22 PM
:drinking:Ummmm...a Maxijet 400 !!!!!! :razz: Lol

Kevotron
03-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Lol i will need alot of that to make my excitement/anxiousness go away hahaha

MMAX
03-19-2010, 11:42 PM
go to home depot and buy 6 Brute garbage cans. Do the change in one night and return them in ( as new condition ) the next day.

Nice...something exactly like I'd do.