PDA

View Full Version : powerhead placement?

neoh
03-18-2010, 05:21 AM
Just curious if this powerhead placement works.

It's on a 15G FOWLR.

1x 160gph
1x 106gph

17x return rate.

The only inhabitants are two clarkii clownfish

Thoughts?

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5936&stc=1&d=1268889570

kien
03-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Where is the overflow located in that picture and do you have any pictures of the tank itself ? :-)

neoh
03-18-2010, 07:48 AM
no overflow, and I'll throw a pic up tomorrow.

kien
03-18-2010, 07:56 AM
oh, you said "17x return rate" so i thought there was a return in there somewhere which would have suggested an overflow of some sort. You must mean 17 x water flow rate then. A picture would be nice because it is kinda of hard to imagine what everything in your picture represents. Those squares in the middle, is that your live rock pile? Does this mean your live rock sits in the middle of the tank as opposed to leaning on the glass at the back of the tank? Arrows point in the direction that the powerheads are pointing? Do they point up or down at all?

Typically one thing you want to watch out for when placing powerheads are dead spots where debris like uneaten fish food and fish poop can collect.

kevNnic
04-13-2010, 05:02 PM
i also wonder about this, right now i have a 65 gallon tank that i just setup the other day added my live sand, right now i only have one power head, how many should i have for a tank this size? Im also running a canaster system, with a skimmer,

i see all of people use sumps. Will i be ok without a sump?

Coleus
04-13-2010, 05:18 PM
i also wonder about this, right now i have a 65 gallon tank that i just setup the other day added my live sand, right now i only have one power head, how many should i have for a tank this size? Im also running a canaster system, with a skimmer,

i see all of people use sumps. Will i be ok without a sump?

No sump is fine, I think with one power head is fine but two will do a better job in circulate the water

kevNnic
04-13-2010, 10:21 PM
thank you for the quick reply. everyone has mixed opinions on these things, and getting facts straight can be a real pain.

Bloodasp
04-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Sumps can be a preference or a requirement depending on how you look at it. I prefer to have one but I don't see that it is really required. Just makes it look cleaner even though all the clutter is hidden inside the stand.