PDA

View Full Version : alkalinity ??

therealshark
03-17-2010, 06:58 PM
is there a product that can raise the alk but not affect the PH to much?

my tank is a dominated SPS tank but my PH is at 8.4 and dont want it to rise any higher, i am having problems keeping my alk above 7.0 right now.

any suggestions would be great
thanks

whatcaneyedo
03-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Not in the long term. Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH are all related. Here is an article that explains http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php

What are you using to test your pH?

globaldesigns
03-17-2010, 07:21 PM
This is what I use:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/sc-rbul1000/SeaChem+Reef+Builder+Additive+-+1.2+KG.html

ottoman
03-17-2010, 07:28 PM
I used Brightwell Alkalin 8.3 Liquid Buffer, bought from J& L. This product said once PH reach 8.3, PH will not raise any higher, only ALK will increase. So far I don't have problem with it.

therealshark
03-17-2010, 11:15 PM
ok...thanks guys, i will look into these.

Ryanst
03-17-2010, 11:41 PM
I also use seachem Reef builder seems to work good.

e46er
03-18-2010, 12:14 AM
i also use seachem reef builder

littlesilvermax
03-18-2010, 01:56 AM
is there a product that can raise the alk but not affect the PH to much?

my tank is a dominated SPS tank but my PH is at 8.4 and dont want it to rise any higher, i am having problems keeping my alk above 7.0 right now.

any suggestions would be great
thanks

Even normal baking soda will raise it up, and not affect ph too much. Just add a little at a time and see what happens.

Is 8.4 your peak? Sure your meter is calibrated right, very few people with low alky have high ph problems.

At any rate, I wouldn't be worried with a high ph of 8.6 if my low was 8.4 or less. Just do things slowly.:biggrin:

therealshark
03-18-2010, 06:23 AM
i was thinkin about trying baking soda. through the winter i didnt have any problems with the alk between 9and 10, PH steady between 8.0 and 8.2, now with the warmer weather my windows have been open more and my PH has gone up and the alk has gone down ( i realize this is from the C02, closed up house through the winter months). my PH is measured by an AC JR. and also checked with a salifert test kit.
i am just wanting to keep my alk around 9, will play with some baking soda this weekend.

Even normal baking soda will raise it up, and not affect ph too much. Just add a little at a time and see what happens.

Is 8.4 your peak? Sure your meter is calibrated right, very few people with low alky have high ph problems.

At any rate, I wouldn't be worried with a high ph of 8.6 if my low was 8.4 or less. Just do things slowly.:biggrin: