PDA

View Full Version : boosting the Magnesium DEZ Chime In

Skimmerking
03-17-2010, 03:43 AM
Ok who has heard this I hear that our Desmond AKA DEZ has been jacking the magnesium up in his tank and in return causing his corals to grow like mad.. I know from seeing his pictures that they lok like that they are growing fast. Dez Can you chime In

Dez
03-17-2010, 07:34 AM
Ok who has heard this I hear that our Desmond AKA DEZ has been jacking the magnesium up in his tank and in return causing his corals to grow like mad.. I know from seeing his pictures that they lok like that they are growing fast. Dez Can you chime In

Hey Mike,

Nothing major. I have a lot of water volume (approx 320 gallons), so it takes me a lot of magnesium to raise my levels. I'm currently running it at about 1300 - 1350ppm. When I first started testing, my Mg was under 1200 so it took about 10 lbs of magnesium to raise it to my desired levels in the course of one week. I test every 2 weeks and if it's low I raise it. I only raise it max 100 ppm at a time. This means I put about 4 cups in one shot. My corals do grow fast but I keep it at acceptable ranges. It seems that my tank consumes a lot of Mg though. Since December I've put about 20 lbs of Mg in my tank (from Littlesilvermax).

Hope this helps.

Des

kien
03-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Magnesium is essential for Calcium assimilation so that makes sense to me :)

Skimmerking
03-17-2010, 11:04 AM
ah ok

Joe Reefer
03-17-2010, 03:50 PM
1350 is the magic number.