PDA

View Full Version : Coralife digi timer?

silentcivilian
03-17-2010, 02:40 AM
Ok, I bought the coralife timer cause it turns the two sources off and turns the other two on, so you can get day and night, along with dusk/dawn using my $16.95 walmart digital timer that just has off/on on all 4 ports.

After a year of the coralife timer.. I have now encountered a problem.. I get home from work every couple days.. and only my two Aqua Sci 22K blues are on.. and my supplements havent come on.. why.. its reset itself, for no aparent reason at all.. I even replaced the 76S 1.5V battery in it to hold on to memory functions in the event of a brown or black out.. still doesnt correct the problem... Is this a common problem?

Has anyone else had this problem?? Im using a 6x54W Tekllight using a mixed Aqu Sci and KG bulb set-up with one night light on each end of the tank. The Aqua Sci 22k blues are on the $16 walmart digital timer, and my supplements and night lights are on the coralife timer ($60)

Do I need to get 2 more cheap timers.. or is this a rare problem??

whatcaneyedo
03-17-2010, 03:41 AM
I've personally never owned a coralife product that I was happy with and so I will not purchase anything by them anymore. Timers, lights, gloves etc. All poor quality and short lifespans. Consider a Neptune, Profilux or Reefkeeper controller or just stick with simple individual hardware store timers.

Kryptic4L
03-17-2010, 03:50 AM
ive blown out 2 bars, never really put much thought into it, but I do know I will never own another.

freezetyle
03-17-2010, 03:50 AM
they can be a pain in the ass. Check that it somehow hasn't been put on random mode. I have done that a few times.

ILIKECOUGARS
03-17-2010, 04:33 AM
I had a dual coralife power center timer which crap out after 6 months, not worth the money you pay for it. I now use the cheap timer you can pick up at Walmart

globaldesigns
03-17-2010, 05:24 AM
I use two of those timer/powerbars, plus have a coralife light fixture. Can tell you this, when I tried to put a electronic ballast on the fixture and blew the igniters. Yes, you can't do that. Keven @ Red Coral helped me out, but I then called Coralife.

Guess what without questioning, they sent me a new igniter for free. I asked them can I buy some new LED lenses, they sent me 4 for free. I had them in about 1.5 weeks from the USA.

So in regards to others not liking Coralife products. I have never had any major issues, unless I caused them. And their customer service was very surprising and exceptional at the same time. I would not hesitate to buy a coralife product again based on the type of service I got.7

In regards to your question, have you changed the battery? It may be causing a short of some sort. I have seen this happen with computers at times that need the bios battery replaced, maybe same problem with the timer/powerbar.

viperfish
03-17-2010, 05:38 AM
I have the dual timer model, and like most people who have owned one mine sucks! I only have one working timer on mine. Canadian Tire has a good selection of timers and if you're lucky enough to catch a sale, you can pick them up pretty cheap.

Rogue951
04-21-2010, 12:52 AM
my experience with the timers is that maybe due to the high cycling or the salt air around the tank they stop working in months.
my digital timer relay failed and the mechanical (spinning dial type) got dirty inside and started counting slower and slower and slower.
I just buy one a year maybe. I didn't want to try a whole power bar.

Glennrf38
04-21-2010, 02:47 AM
I purchased the exact same timer as the coralife timer from Home Depot for $14.95. They are even the same "manufacturer". Coralife only brands them with their name. Mine decided to do the exact same thing once. I unplugged it and reset the time and the timers and it started working again and I haven't had a problem since.

bvlester
04-21-2010, 04:51 AM
The coralife timer has the out let split easily done you have to solder a wire from the NC connector to the second have of the power bar after you cut it in two then you have the same power bar as coralife. The timer is the same for the coralife power bar and the no name power bar. you can make a no name power bar a 4 outlet on and 4 outlet off power bar. just rewire it withe the wire that is connected to the side that is always on to the NC connector. easy as pie.

Bill