PDA

View Full Version : Return pump set up

Palmer
03-16-2010, 10:20 PM
When I bought my setup there was a mag pump included which was being used for the return in the sump and it has a sponge filter on it.

I notice that alot of what I would classify as sump crud ends up in the sponge and the sponge is squeezing inwards on its sides towards the intake. I am concerned that this is not only becoming a trap for stuff I do not want but also restricting flow. Is there another way to jig the return pump without the sponge and prevent critters from being sucked up into the display? I am not really looking to build an overflow in the sump for the return just wondering what other options there are.

Palmer

Madreefer
03-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Throw the sponge away. Unless ypu plan on cleaning it often, it just acts as a nitratre trap. If your worried about critters being sucked up you can build a little cage out of eggcrate and zipties to put around the inlet. The only thing that will hurt the pump is shells.

ILIKECOUGARS
03-16-2010, 11:46 PM
You don't need the sponge, my mag 12 been running for over 1 1/2 years now. I took the pump apart the other day (first time) to clean, and it only had a little scum inside. Make me wonder why most said that it should be clean every 6 months.

Palmer
03-17-2010, 02:48 AM
Thanks I removed it and my return flow looks like it more than doubled. I think the sponge was just getting clogged and I only incrementally noticed my flow going down.