PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Return Pumps

Madreefer
03-16-2010, 10:06 PM
How often should you be taking apart and cleaning return pumps. I have a barracuda thats been running for 2 years now that has'nt been touched. Should I order a o-ring kit before attempting it or any other suggestions?

mark
03-17-2010, 03:37 AM
I took apart my CL Dart after about a year and found only a thin coating of slim (no scale buildup). Since then I just leave my Dart and Barracuda running without maintenance other than cleaning the dust off the fan.

If you are going to take apart the o-ring is a good idea and should replace the seal as often see people say the Reeflos start leaking after a couple of years.

Do suggest though have a spare seal kit on hand, might not be the quickest thing to find when the pump starts leaking.

Madreefer
03-17-2010, 04:40 AM
Thanks mark. Is there a build up of "dust" below the exposed part of the shaft on the barracuda pumps. Call me weird but I put a touch on my finger and tasted it. There was no salt taste. There is no mention of lubricating in the manual. Geez....this whole post just don't sound right. It's all about the pump.

mark
03-17-2010, 05:01 AM
little dusting might be the seal seating in. Any weeping I would expect to be salty.

bvlester
03-17-2010, 05:38 AM
I clean my return pump every 6 months, skimmer pumps every 3 months and power heads every 3 months. Take care of your equipment and it will last longer, don't and it will fail when you need it the most. Preventative maintenance is a proven practice that works. companies all over the world have spent millions on keeping logs on equipment and figuring out just how far they can push a piece of equipment with out any maintenance before they have to do a stripe down and clean replace every thing that moves. Now they can schedule maintenance and know that they are within that critical area before breakdown save time and a tun of money. Canadian wire used to push till some thing broke then my dad started monitoring things and they could have a part shipped from Germany which took a week or so to get to Canada and then install the part that was know to break down with almost not stoppage in work as they would do the replacement on a night shift.

So the moral is do regular maintenance and you will not be sorry.

Bill