PDA

View Full Version : Pump

Abe
03-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Can anyone recommand a quiet pump or a way to reduce the noise and vibration of my pump. I have a RIO 14 right now, it's not that lound but I can hear it. Also it makes some vibration which it goes through the intake PVC line to the tank, I am worried about tank stress after a while which it can vreate some cracks that I dont want lool. Also if anyone knows how to reduce the sound of the water coming out of the drain PVC line from the tank down to the sump. Thanks.

tlo
03-16-2010, 07:50 PM
are you looking for in sump/or external pump.
If in sump then ehiem is the way to go, if external poiseden is the quietest you can get. I have a poisden and you cant even tell its running without touching it.

as for the drain noise, search for stockman drains, or durso standpipes to quiet the noise - they are easy to rig up.

naesco
03-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Can anyone recommand a quiet pump or a way to reduce the noise and vibration of my pump. I have a RIO 14 right now, it's not that lound but I can hear it. Also it makes some vibration which it goes through the intake PVC line to the tank, I am worried about tank stress after a while which it can vreate some cracks that I dont want lool. Also if anyone knows how to reduce the sound of the water coming out of the drain PVC line from the tank down to the sump. Thanks.

You can place the pump on a higher density foam to absorb so of the vibration. Depending on your pump installation if the pipe coming out of the pump is glued and when glued the pipes were rigidly tight you can also have a vibration issue.
To deal with the water coming down into your sump, a sock filter will lessen the sound.

Abe
03-16-2010, 08:03 PM
well the sound of the drain is the sound of the water running inside of the pipe.

hillegom
03-16-2010, 08:21 PM
check out herbie overflow as well

fiorano
03-19-2010, 05:01 PM
when i had pump vibrations on the little maxijet circulation pump on the tank in my room i just took the pump out and coated the bottom in silicone ha ha worked great