PDA

View Full Version : Cerium Oxide

ickmagnet
03-16-2010, 05:17 PM
I have a few light scratches on my glass tank which is currently empty. My fingernail does not hit the rut so it looks like they may be removable. I heard cerium oxide will work and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it and also, where I can purchase it in the Lower Mainland.

Bloodasp
03-16-2010, 11:33 PM
try a jewelry polishing shop.

bvlester
03-17-2010, 12:11 AM
I have a few light scratches on my glass tank which is currently empty. My fingernail does not hit the rut so it looks like they may be removable. I heard cerium oxide will work and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it and also, where I can purchase it in the Lower Mainland.

Cerium oxide is for polishing stainless and ceramic use jeweler rouge it is for polishing jem stones and will polish out scratches in glass use a drummel tools with the cotten wheel it works like a charm. tank will look like new I have done it before and when I do a realy large water change I have to do it to this tank I didn't notice some scratched up areas on it before filling,
I can live with it for now. Just makes for photographing in some spots a bit hard.

Bill

Sebae again
03-17-2010, 03:53 AM
A rock shop or lapidary store will have it. I believe there is one in Cloverdale.

Bloodasp
03-17-2010, 06:09 AM
be prepared to spend a few hours buffing up your glass as it takes a bit of elbow grease to take off those scratches.