PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy marine plants

T-Dizzle777
03-16-2010, 06:22 AM
I was looking at buying some marine plant (not coral but plants) but I don't know where or if they are sold in thecarea. Anyone body know if there is a store within 30 min of north delta or that ships?

I realize now that this is macro algae. The question is still the same but I'm still looking for something that looks like a plant or kelp or somethig of the sort.

viperfish
03-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Get in touch with Kelly at The Reef Shoppe, I think he usually keeps a good selection. I ordered a really nice Halimeda plant from him. He ships so getting it should be no problem.

outacontrol
03-16-2010, 12:08 PM
too bad you are not closer, I have some extra Halimeda

banditpowdercoat
03-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Halimeda is an algae, not a plant. Mangroves would be considered plant.

dsaundry
03-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Halimeda is an algae, not a plant. Mangroves would be considered plant.

It's both in a way, but it is considered an algae.
Halimeda is a genus of green algae, with many species in tropical waters worldwide. It is easily recognised by its shape, which consists of calcified segments, connected to each other by very narrow points
Each plant is attached to the substrate by a stalk and holdfast, or in the case of species living in sand or unstable sediment, the stalk forms a swollen bulb to anchor the plant.

hillegom
03-16-2010, 08:35 PM
I have a small piece of feather caulerpa and some red, unknown (to me) algae you could have

ferret
03-16-2010, 11:40 PM
few types of caulerpa species are available ( feather, prolifera & serrulata ) and just pm me if interested

T-Dizzle777
03-20-2010, 06:29 AM
Does anyone know where I can buy a shaving brush plant near delta? Am I going to have to get it shipped?

reeferious
03-20-2010, 11:18 PM
i went on ebay and had bunch of plants, algae including couple mermaid hairs, and inverts shipped to me from florida. everything arrived in good condition. i remember shipment was declared as pet supplies. just don't try this during winter or mid summer.