PDA

View Full Version : Help...is my new clown dying????

kodadad
03-16-2010, 03:18 AM
Hi all,

I drip acclimated these guys for 2.5 - 3hours.

My levels are perfect.
80'F
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0
Ammonia = 0
Calcium = 400
alk = 9

I just lowered the temp to 78.5 to increase the oxygen a bit.

I just retested ammonia and it is still 0

Whats going on.... what should I do?
This is from minutes ago....
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/kodadad/nemo5.jpg
(PS the crap in the tank is algae that the micro bubbles form my skimmer raised to the surface)

Here is a pic just after they were introduced.
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/kodadad/nemo1.jpg

They have been in there for about 4 hours....

viperfish
03-16-2010, 03:21 AM
How far did they travel?

rodsboys
03-16-2010, 03:21 AM
I don't see anything wrong in the pics.What are they doing?
They are nice by the way.What did they cost you?

banditpowdercoat
03-16-2010, 03:24 AM
What is it they are doing? Are they stressed? could just be them shy and scared?

kodadad
03-16-2010, 03:27 AM
The one clown is hanging out directly below the surface. Occasionally coming up to breath from the surface....swimming on her side a lot. etc...

bvlester
03-16-2010, 03:28 AM
They may have swimblader issues I had a clown that I aclimated for 3 hrs as I do all new additions and he could not get to the bottom of the tank took him about 4 - 6 days to right him self. just keep an eye on them if any thing you may want your PH at 8.2 but 8.4 is ok but oon the high end for coral growth it would be ok. I would get as much of that red slimmy algae out as I could use a syphon and then put some new water in. This may help, lower salinity a bit to 1.020 and increase temp to 82 add a air stone. This will help them with to get more O2 and if they have any thing it should help them to fight it off. once they are fine again then bring the salinity up to normal over a couple days and drop the temp to 79 - 80.

Bill

kodadad
03-16-2010, 03:55 AM
I don't see anything wrong in the pics.What are they doing?
They are nice by the way.What did they cost you?
$200 cdn

kodadad
03-16-2010, 03:56 AM
http://www.reefland.com/forum/saltwater-fish-only-aquariums/178-clownfish-swimming-sideways.html

Someone just sent me that.... very interesting... very similar to what they are doing now.

kodadad
03-16-2010, 03:57 AM
How far did they travel?

15 minutes

banditpowdercoat
03-16-2010, 04:04 AM
$200?? WHy so much?

viperfish
03-16-2010, 04:07 AM
$200?? WHy so much?

That's the going price for Picasso Clowns, I paid $100 for mine from J&L. That ORA stuff is pricey.

mark
03-16-2010, 04:20 AM
less stress with the lights off and not hanging around the tank

banditpowdercoat
03-16-2010, 04:20 AM
Ohh, Didn't realize they were Picasso's

BlueWorldAquatic
03-16-2010, 05:49 AM
Actually they are Semi-Picasso's. The middle line doesn't connect to the real line on both sides as like a cross.

You should not need to acclimate the fish more than 1 hour give or take a few minutes.

We acclimate the same clowns after being in a box for 24hours, and have had no problems with just 1 hour of dripping.

Give them a day or two, they should be just fine.

Ken - BWA

bvlester
03-16-2010, 06:23 AM
swim bladder problem can happen from traveling to a different altitude if it is a swim bladder issue it will sort it self out in a couple days Mine did and there has been no other issues.

Bill

naesco
03-17-2010, 05:10 AM
less stress with the lights off and not hanging around the tank

Great advise. Stay away from the tank as you are stressing the new fish.
Also put a bubbler in or place a powerhead just below the surface.
When fish hang around the top of the tank or break the surface it indicates a lack of oxygen.

kodadad
03-17-2010, 11:41 PM
I still have no idea if all is good or not.....

One fish is eating fine. The other fish ate fine last night but nothing at all today. Both fish never ventured more than an inch or two from the spot they have hosted.
The fish that is currently not eating is still swimming bizarrely. It spends a lot of time with the mouth pointing towards the sand...and then basically just hovers other than that.
The other fish (the one that is eating now) does swim to the top back down and does appear to be playing with the flow from the powerhead but again never ventures from the spot and still appears very lethargic

All my levels are still good. Breathing appears to be normal... neither fish is going to the surface gasping for air like they were that first night.

I should also mention this...

When I purchased them, I asked the store to feed them before I took them home. The one fish (the one that is eating for me now) ate like crazy just like he is doing at home. The other did eventually take some frozen shrimp but would not leave their hosted anemone and took only one bite. The staff told me they had been fed earlier and said she was just full. I am not convinced...

What would you do?

(Tank is a 33 gallon, no other fish, just a peppermint shrimp and snails. Levels are as follows.
temp 79.5, ph 8.4, alk 9, ammon: 0-0.1, nitrate= 0, nitrite = 0, calc: 420

Any advice welcomed

mike31154
03-18-2010, 02:25 AM
They've still only been in your system for several days, correct? When I introduced the first Maroon clownfish into my system, he didn't eat for a week. Was still a juvenile and did laps along the glass during the day, relaxed at night. I know yours are a different species and behaving differently, but I don't think it's a major cause for concern yet, since they are both eating, one more than the other, but eating nonetheless. I have no idea where mine got the energy to do laps for a week without eating and I was panicking wondering what to do. After the first week he settled right down and started eating regularly.

You mention your clowns were in an anemone at the LFS. Is there one in your system for them as well? If not, they're likely a little shocked at being displaced from their host anemone. Give it a few more days and with any luck they'll get over the shock of new surroundings and settle in.

Edit: Just noticed your parameter nos. Ammonia 0-0.1 & Nitrite, Nitrate 0? Is this a newer system, perhaps still cycling? Ideally your Ammonia level should be at 0 before introducing any livestock...

bvlester
03-18-2010, 02:37 AM
+1 on the new tank I think Mike.

Bill

burtonpj48
03-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Hi i noticed you are using the new digital heaters from fluval. I saw them on sale, i was wondering how well they work. I am thinking of getting a couple of them. thanks

kodadad
03-24-2010, 10:28 AM
The new heater has been great. The temp reading pretty acurate too..