PDA

View Full Version : first fish uuugggghhhhh lesson learned

reddragon
03-16-2010, 03:14 AM
so i have had my tank running for 6 weeks with live rock in it. we have been testing regularly and no number spike. so when i got back i had to get a fish. patientce can only last so long. so i went to a peticular fish store in regina that sells salt water fish, (i wont name any names) to see what they had.
didnt have much but i did find one fish that looked pretty cool and i asked the girl working if the fish was safe, friendly and if there was any fish that is could not add later cause of this fish. she said he was a perfect fish to add first very friendly and small. i told her i had a 90 gal tank. she says he is little so no worries.
so i bought him. looks really cool in the tank, so i decide to look him up in the atlas and on the web. check this link.
http://www.freshmarine.com/twin-spot-coris-wrasse.html

what!!! min size 180 gal, expert only, aggresive... i know it is my responsibility to check myself and research the fish i buy, guess i learned my lesson the hard way.

so now what should i do???

ps i know what you are thinking ...... damn newbies!!!!!!

outacontrol
03-16-2010, 03:37 AM
take it back to the store, and get a refund

BlueTang<3
03-16-2010, 03:38 AM
+1

Skimmerking
03-16-2010, 03:41 AM
well there isnt to many places in Regina that has a salt water store. I wonder hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

naesco
03-16-2010, 03:43 AM
take it back to the store, and get a refund

+1

The LFS should have told you about the tank size requirements and its growth potential.

reddragon
03-16-2010, 03:49 AM
hey i didnt name any names.... ha ha!!! how long do you think he will stay small and the juv colours. cause he is cool to watch now. but ya i should prob try to catch him but that might be a challenge with 150 pounds of rock in the tank.

Skimmerking
03-16-2010, 03:51 AM
you dont have too I can tell you thou who it is ,:mrgreen: good luck in getting him out of the tank and taking him back buds..

reddragon
03-16-2010, 03:58 AM
you dont have too I can tell you thou who it is ,:mrgreen: good luck in getting him out of the tank and taking him back buds..

ha ha ha thanx

bvlester
03-16-2010, 04:12 AM
I am thinking you have learned your lesson print that page out and take the fish back to the store. If it is reputable they will take it back and give you either your money back or in store credit which is more normal than your money back. If they do this they have a customer that will return if they do not, then guess what don't go back there any more. Search out other places even if you have to travel a bit to get fish make it a day trip and enjoy the trip. I do this my self some times I'll buy something on a employees suggestion and then take it back a few hours latter and find out what the manager is made of. They are either profit over customer or customer over profit, customer over profit makes them more money in the long run.

I know I should not do this but I want to know I am dealing with a company I can trust when it comes down to it. Total Pet does not have a QT that I know of but Petland does, you see the difference. Petland give in store credits on returns as long as they are OKed by the manager.

there are a tun of fish out there that are suitable for tanks why do stores have to bring in fish not suitable for most tanks. The fish that are not suited for the average tank should be an on order only basis. There would be less confusion for beginners and a larger profit margin for stores on select fish not to mention allot less dead fish that do not have to be dead.
Bill

fishoholic
03-16-2010, 04:18 AM
I would see if the LFS will take it back. If not see if you can find a buyer on here and post it for sale in the buy/sell livestock section. This is what some sites said they look like as adults http://www.maldivesholidayresorts.net/contextphotos/2fac13f880b647078d377f257d65113a-image.jpg

and this is what a different site said some breeding males will look like.
http://saltwater.tropicalfishandaquariums.com/Wrasses/ClownWrasseAdult.JPG

It will probably take a year before it starts growing fairly large and changing colouration a lot. However they are not reef safe. They will eat snails, crabs and shrimp and they will attack and possibly eat fish smaller then them. Basically as long as you have it you should not add any inverts, other wrasses, gobies, blennies, anthias, or dartfish to your tank as there is a good chance that your twin spot wrasse would kill them.