PDA

View Full Version : Blue Spotted Jawfish

infamous
03-16-2010, 01:11 AM
I was wondering if anybody has experience with the Blue Spotted Jawfish? I am very interested in these fish and would eventually love to have one in my tank. I've done a bit of reading on these guys and they sound like a great addition to any "peaceful" tank. I was just wondering if anybody had some personal experiences they'd like to share.

And on that note, with needing a deeper sand bed, does anyone have any suggestions on sand bed stirrers? I'm thinking maybe a cucumber, Nassarius snail or conch. I currently have a Diamond Goby, 2 Turbo snails and 2 hermit crabs. I would just like to make sure that sand will get "turned over" enough to keep it healthy.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and comment on this thread!

mseepman
03-16-2010, 03:00 AM
I don't have one of these fish but it is on the top of my wish list.

I think the most significant things that should concern you in regards to this fish are that your sand bed is deep enough for them and that you have some way of keeping them from jumping out. They are notorious jumpers that have been known to get through egg-crate and everything but a solid top or an entire screen.

infamous
03-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Yes, I'd definitely be adding more sand to my tank. Want him to be as comfortable as possible! I have a corner tank and it's mostly covered, I just have a spot in the back that could be questionable, but it's a pretty easy fix.

MrsBugmaster
03-16-2010, 08:48 PM
I use to have a blue spotted jawfish. One of my favorite fish. I had a 2.5 in sand bed with pvc caves that I built for it. I also piled some sand a little deeper in some areas for it to burrow and dig in. They need lots of small bits of rock rubble or shells too. It was always busy building with the rock rubble. Every night it would take a piece of rubble and cover the entrance to it's burrow. It was so fun to watch. Be careful though if you have any corals on the sand bed as it will cover them with sand. And make sure your live rock is sitting on the bottom (the glass) of the tank and not on top of the sand bed, cause if they dig under the rock it will fall other wise.

tlo
03-16-2010, 09:00 PM
make sure your tank is covered - and not even one little crack open. I lost 2 of these fish to jumping, even with eggcrate, it just bumped it out of the way.

Borderjumper
03-16-2010, 11:17 PM
make sure your tank is covered - and not even one little crack open. I lost 2 of these fish to jumping, even with eggcrate, it just bumped it out of the way.
+1 I had a full glass cover on my tank and the jawfish managed to find a way out.

mr.wilson
03-17-2010, 12:09 AM
I have had them over the years in different tanks, but they never lasted more than 6 months. Maybe it was just bad luck, but I decided to stop buying them just the same. As the others have said, they are jumpers, but I never had a problem with them jumping in big tanks with lots of rock. They are very expensive due to their range (Souther California to the Sea of Cortez).

kodadad
03-24-2010, 01:56 PM
I am very close to ordering one of these....and I keep reading how many many people cannot keep this fish more than a few months... is it really that frail? (and I am not meaning death by carpet surfing)

wickedfrags
03-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Agreed. My understanding is that they are also collected from colder water, and not ideally suited for our typical reef tank temperatures. Perhaps the reason they develop skin conditions which often lead to death.

While an awesome specimen, probably best left in the ocean as they are historically known not to survive long-term. I learned the wonrg way about this...

I have had them over the years in different tanks, but they never lasted more than 6 months. Maybe it was just bad luck, but I decided to stop buying them just the same. As the others have said, they are jumpers, but I never had a problem with them jumping in big tanks with lots of rock. They are very expensive due to their range (Souther California to the Sea of Cortez).

sitandwatch
03-24-2010, 03:16 PM
I had one and it was great while I had it, but I lost it in less then a 2 months and not due to carpet surfing, the little guy just passed on.