PDA

View Full Version : I need to get rid of mushrooms, How?

globaldesigns
03-15-2010, 09:03 PM
I have too many mushrooms, unable to remove rock or pry off. I hate to do this, but is there a way to kill them? Without affecting others.

Delphinus
03-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Kalk paste and a syringe needle. (Used to be easy to get synringes at UFA, but they moved and I don't know where to, so, that one might be an interesting challenge now..).

May take repeated attempts but usually works pretty good. Better to get the pastey kalk goo at the bottom of the kalk slurry since it's "more potenter" and if you turn your pumps off it's generally pretty targettted (ie. without affecting others).

globaldesigns
03-15-2010, 09:41 PM
What if I don't have Kalk paste. Would Tailored Aquatics Aptasia killer work?

Does anyone have any syringes for sale?

Thanks Tony.

Doo
03-15-2010, 10:03 PM
you can get a syringe over the counter from any drug store...

globaldesigns
03-15-2010, 10:20 PM
you can get a syringe over the counter from any drug store...

Thanks, I will check with Shoppers, since it is close by.

ocean diver
03-16-2010, 02:33 AM
Why would you want to KILL a coral? If you have to many then give them away, I am sure somebody would take them.

whatcaneyedo
03-16-2010, 02:45 AM
Why would you want to KILL a coral? If you have to many then give them away, I am sure somebody would take them.

Because mushrooms will kill his 'more desirable corals' and because they can not be easily removed from the rock. If any amount of their base is left behind it will grow a new mushroom.

Kalk pasting should work but if you want to try something different you could cut out as much as you can and then scrub the rest of the rock while siphoning out the debris at the same time. A tooth brush zip tied to a hose should work.

PoonTang
03-16-2010, 02:50 AM
Vinegar will also work. I used to do 1 syringe of kalk and 1 of vinegar every other day to kind of balance each other out. Try to limit to about 5cc each time so as not to throw your tank off. They were both equally effective but you have to get it into the body cavity and tissue.

mseepman
03-16-2010, 02:51 AM
I have found a turkey baster and boiling RODI water will work most of the time. Not an exact method but cheaper than any other. I started with one mushroom, now I take about a dozen per week to the local LFS and have about 125 in my tank that I have not successfully removed yet.

One thing to note is not to kill so many at a time as it will hurt water quality.

It really does suck am working on a new tank and was originally planning to use my current rock. Now most of it is useless and I see mushrooms as equivalent to aptasia.

BC Mosaic
03-16-2010, 03:14 AM
.........I see mushrooms as equivalent to aptasia.

Bingo.
Once you start aggravating them by trying to cut them out or to paste them to death, they'll reproduce like crazy.
I had the same issue and luckily for me I knew someone that would take the 'shrooms for free along with the 2 gorgeous huge lovely pieces of LR that they were growing on.
Other option is too remove the LR, take it outside, scrape the area as best as you can and let it dry out. Then recure.
A third option is take the LR with 'shrooms to you lfs and get credit.

Good luck

globaldesigns
03-16-2010, 03:15 AM

Problem is that they don't remove easily and I can't remove the rock. So that is the reason.

I would rather sell or give them away, but if not possible, then it isn't possible.

globaldesigns
03-16-2010, 03:16 AM
Because mushrooms will kill his 'more desirable corals' and because they can not be easily removed from the rock. If any amount of their base is left behind it will grow a new mushroom.

Kalk pasting should work but if you want to try something different you could cut out as much as you can and then scrub the rest of the rock while siphoning out the debris at the same time. A tooth brush zip tied to a hose should work.

Thanks Whatcaneyedo, you are absolutely correct.

mseepman
03-16-2010, 03:17 AM
Yeah...if you're rocks have other life on them...you are "screwed"

I've never had aptasia...but I make up for it in mushrooms.:doh:

globaldesigns
03-16-2010, 03:20 AM
I didn't realize syringes were so cheap. Bought 4 of them, 25 cents each at Shoppers Drug Mart.

Works easily with a syringe, they are all shrivelled up right now, probably will see what happens and jab them again in a couple days.

I have alot of nice SPS, shrooms are nice, but my 4-5 have multiplied and are smothering my exotic colored zoo's and getting too close to my SPS.

As I am not willing to dismantle my rock, as these are at the bottom of my aquascaping, my only answer was to kill. I hated doing it, but it had to be done.

thanks all for the advice.

globaldesigns
03-16-2010, 03:21 AM
Yeah...if you're rocks have other life on them...you are "screwed"

I've never had aptasia...but I make up for it in mushrooms.:doh:

Mushrooms can be very beautiful, and mine were quite nice, but they are kinda like aptasia and can multiply quickly.

Kryptic4L
03-16-2010, 03:32 AM
rick, you can make like a tree and flip the rock....