PDA

View Full Version : questions about vortech mp40 gen 1

christyf5
03-15-2010, 07:03 PM
So I just bought a used mp40 gen 1. Do I need to do the magnet upgrade? Whats so great about it :razz:

Also, the wireless driver/ecosmart upgrade is mostly only if I have more than one and want them to "talk to each other" right? Does the regular driver still do all the different modes or is that only the wireless one?

TIA

marie
03-15-2010, 07:19 PM
So I just bought a used mp40 gen 1. Do I need to do the magnet upgrade? Whats so great about it :razz:

Also, the wireless driver/ecosmart upgrade is mostly only if I have more than one and want them to "talk to each other" right? Does the regular driver still do all the different modes or is that only the wireless one?

TIA

I could be wrong but I believe the first generation had problems with magnets rusting over time and the new ones are better protected. I think the regular driver does the different modes because that was their big selling point when they first came out

Red Coral Aquariums
03-15-2010, 07:45 PM
I could be wrong but I believe the first generation had problems with magnets rusting over time and the new ones are better protected. I think the regular driver does the different modes because that was their big selling point when they first came out

+1 Check the magnet and keep it clean any sign of rust or corrosion clean and think about a wet side replacement. Find someone with a gen2 to do a software upgrade from also check ecotech's web site on instructions.
Kevin

christyf5
03-16-2010, 12:38 AM
So it really needs a wetside upgrade then, not just the magnet?

marie
03-16-2010, 12:47 AM
It's the magnet inside the wet side that might need replacing not the whole thing

christyf5
03-16-2010, 12:55 AM
Oh, ok, that makes sense. I wasn't sure if they'd changed anything else on it. Thanks! :biggrin:

Red Coral Aquariums
03-16-2010, 01:02 AM
It's the magnet inside the wet side that might need replacing not the whole thing

I will find out but my price lists do not include just the magnet. I have just replaced the whole wet side under warranty for customers. The whole wet side is $79.00. if not under warranty. Find out where the pump was purchased originally and see if it can be covered.
Kevin

mike31154
03-16-2010, 02:44 AM
More info on your MP40, is it an MP40W Gen 1 or an MP40 Gen 1? If it's the former, you already have a wireless driver so if you do get a second 'W' pump/driver, they will be able to work together. You will also want to confirm what firmware level your driver is at if it is a wireless driver. This is done by watching the LED light flash sequence when it is powered up. The sequence is explained in the instructions. The newer firmware adds night mode and long pulse mode. The newer ecosmart drivers have additional modes and functionality that even the latest firmware on current wireless drivers will not be able to do. So if you want these additional modes, you will need the newer driver, regardless of whether you have more than one pump or not.

My first MP40W was a Gen 1 purchased about 3 months before they upgraded the magnet and firmware. The magnet upgrade came as a kit from EcoTech, quite reasonably priced, less than $15 IIRC. It included the new magnet as well as a new shaft, plastic mounting screw and some bearing components. Improvements were made to the bearing & shaft along with the new magnet, so you'll want to make sure you get that as a kit. The new magnets are completely black whereas the older ones are metallic looking with a thin layer of plastic. This thin plastic eventually leaks and the magnet will rust. The newer magnets are also thicker than the old ones. Confused yet??

christyf5
03-16-2010, 02:57 AM
Its a MP40 non-wireless with old style magnet (metal nut and driveshaft) so I'm assuming the firmware is old school too (haven't plugged it in yet).

LOL I already had to have Marie explain to me how the pins work. I didn't get the "sticker" on the dry side that lets you know the spacing, as well I didn't get the dry gasket (or instructions for that matter but they're on the internet).

I dunno about upgrading to wireless, I don't have another vortech for the first one to talk to, hopefully he doesn't get too lonely :razz: It looks like the magnet upgrade kit is all separate now, you have to buy the magnet and a "maintenance" kit that comes with 2 sets of shafts, nuts, washers and an extra impeller. Mind you, it seems aquariumspecialty sells a gen2 magnet upgrade kit that isn't on the ecotech site.

Canadian
03-16-2010, 04:20 AM
I will find out but my price lists do not include just the magnet. I have just replaced the whole wet side under warranty for customers. The whole wet side is $79.00. if not under warranty. Find out where the pump was purchased originally and see if it can be covered.
Kevin

Here's the link to the Ecotech online parts store: http://ecotechmarine.com/parts-store/

The wet side magnet is $15USD directly from Ecotech to the consumer.

hillegom
03-16-2010, 05:27 AM
More info on your MP40, is it an MP40W Gen 1 or an MP40 Gen 1? If it's the former, you already have a wireless driver so if you do get a second 'W' pump/driver, they will be able to work together. You will also want to confirm what firmware level your driver is at if it is a wireless driver. This is done by watching the LED light flash sequence when it is powered up. The sequence is explained in the instructions. The newer firmware adds night mode and long pulse mode. The newer ecosmart drivers have additional modes and functionality that even the latest firmware on current wireless drivers will not be able to do. So if you want these additional modes, you will need the newer driver, regardless of whether you have more than one pump or not.

My first MP40W was a Gen 1 purchased about 3 months before they upgraded the magnet and firmware. The magnet upgrade came as a kit from EcoTech, quite reasonably priced, less than $15 IIRC. It included the new magnet as well as a new shaft, plastic mounting screw and some bearing components. Improvements were made to the bearing & shaft along with the new magnet, so you'll want to make sure you get that as a kit. The new magnets are completely black whereas the older ones are metallic looking with a thin layer of plastic. This thin plastic eventually leaks and the magnet will rust. The newer magnets are also thicker than the old ones. Confused yet??

Yes I am confused. I cannot tell if I have a gen 1 or 2.
Mike, do you have measurements of the different thicknesses?
Thanks

mike31154
03-17-2010, 02:41 AM
Yes I am confused. I cannot tell if I have a gen 1 or 2.
Mike, do you have measurements of the different thicknesses?
Thanks

Certainly. The Gen 1 magnet is 1/4 inch thick and the Gen 2 is 3/8 inch thick. I'll make some photos and post forthwith. The visual difference is quite obvious, the Gen 2 magnet is totally black whereas the Gen 1 looks like dull steel. If you have a Gen 1 magnet that's been running for any length of time, it's very likely that you will see corrosion.

mike31154
03-17-2010, 02:43 AM
Its a MP40 non-wireless with old style magnet (metal nut and driveshaft) so I'm assuming the firmware is old school too (haven't plugged it in yet).

LOL I already had to have Marie explain to me how the pins work. I didn't get the "sticker" on the dry side that lets you know the spacing, as well I didn't get the dry gasket (or instructions for that matter but they're on the internet).

I dunno about upgrading to wireless, I don't have another vortech for the first one to talk to, hopefully he doesn't get too lonely :razz: It looks like the magnet upgrade kit is all separate now, you have to buy the magnet and a "maintenance" kit that comes with 2 sets of shafts, nuts, washers and an extra impeller. Mind you, it seems aquariumspecialty sells a gen2 magnet upgrade kit that isn't on the ecotech site.

If you're content with the modes your current driver provides, with a single pump, there is no need to upgrade to wireless. Furthermore, if you have a non-wireless driver, there is no firmware to upgrade, you're stuck with the modes provided. If I remember correctly, the older pre-wireless drivers were metal boxes as opposed to plastic.

mike31154
03-17-2010, 03:21 AM
Ok, VorTech magnet photos etc. for aid in differentiating Gen 1 from Gen 2.

Gen 1 magnet, nicely corroded, but still functioning without issue at time of replacement:

http://hlj1yw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pEjZsyzXP1D2q1KtOq1Und5U5UUQ6EVMc-pPgWSYXEBxKcqfOo9g462WnPZJv9VHVYMNOUQM3XkiV2OdvPNL SkDPX1g0fZGag/Gen1Magnet.JPG

Gen 2 magnet, this one was damaged in the mail. Packaged in a bubble wrap envelope, I suspect the kit was caught in a conveyor system at the Canada Post distribution center in Quebec. The strength of the magnet obviously attracted it to a moving metal component that wore a chunk out of it. It took 3 tries to get me this kit, they finally packaged it in a small box to keep the magnet out of the postal service automated machinery. The other scratches are more recent, I had the Gen 1 & 2 a little too close together and almost lost a finger. Hell of a time getting them separated. Put my life on the line for canreef here...:

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p6TnBmD22euAFYu5n0AOqYJdvStdsGX7NQy7yOPN01-cPf72t_jYlIyWtnCweA8teqssii6PfByVhasBWUmF1ug/Gen2Magnet.JPG

Gen 1 magnet profile:

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p8SV44-2yQp02Tv-iGZ3geICko7Fq0uW4E09vJ_datgVfzxgLP3NOfi_-Mgj7EwRnHvlWoF2raG85MaRW7Omn-w/Gen1Profile.JPG

Gen 2 magnet profile:

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pJQbIYjOUwvzxAEej_B7GtHN-kuBIMfTC3cbGIbQAoZmiA2_d4RHhhBAEYrBtjZbC6DZAUg5skb a_Ts02oDNtfA/Gen2Profile.JPG

Older photo of some of the upgrade kit components. Don't recall exactly, but it may have come with a new endpiece due to the thicker magnet. Also came with a new ceramic bearing... I think...:

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pZStNNgH_B8KYoidZ7fySijmuaxAsrC6JcsamNi9crv0Orb2 vUNj2Zx8GNKWh2x6aku0bt-ryBtgkb_whqZ9gNA/P1010763a.JPG

http://hlj1yw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p-IMWJcnvd34Gb4QxLwBf1VlYNZfwx9xvgdh5aKvahCn4idcuskP UjXn5bdgQ9J9M8OTzTOkBfjSNZQ9IpMiS2Xr4YLn_xxiF/P1010388a.JPG

Did I mention these make very nice fridge magnets? You can hang up to three old winter coats on them no problem.

hillegom
03-17-2010, 04:04 AM
Thank you Mike.
I have a gen 2

christyf5
03-17-2010, 05:56 AM
Did I mention these make very nice fridge magnets? You can hang up to three old winter coats on them no problem.

:rofl:

thanks for the pics and the laugh! :biggrin: