PDA

View Full Version : copper banded butterfly

cordeiro
03-15-2010, 03:29 PM
hello,

We just bought a copper banded butterfly yesterday and woke up this morning to him dead :frown: He has a a couple of what look like cuts on his side, could my fish have killed him??
I have a foxface, a brown scuba tang, a sailfin tang, a regal tang, a humbug damsel, and 4 clowns.

Im soo sad :cry:

mike31154
03-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Sorry to hear. Difficult to say what caused his demise, but these are very difficult fish to keep long term. The cuts could have happened after he died, caused by CUC members such as crabs etc. You've also got some fairly territorial fish such as the damsel and the clowns.

Copperbands are fairly docile, non aggressive fish and definitely need some acclimation time, especially with the current stocking you have. I too purchased a Copperband some time after initially starting up my system. A lot fewer fish to compete with, but I could not get him to eat and he starved. A slow death, excruciating to watch. This is why I'm of the opinion Copperbands should not even be available for purchase, leave 'em in the ocean. Too bad since they are such strikingly beautiful fish. There are success stories of folks keeping them and getting them to eat prepared/frozen fare, but these are the exception rather than the rule.

naesco
03-15-2010, 05:15 PM
sorry to hear. Difficult to say what caused his demise, but these are very difficult fish to keep long term. The cuts could have happened after he died, caused by cuc members such as crabs etc. You've also got some fairly territorial fish such as the damsel and the clowns.

Copperbands are fairly docile, non aggressive fish and definitely need some acclimation time, especially with the current stocking you have. I too purchased a copperband some time after initially starting up my system. A lot fewer fish to compete with, but i could not get him to eat and he starved. A slow death, excruciating to watch. This is why i'm of the opinion copperbands should not even be available for purchase, leave 'em in the ocean. Too bad since they are such strikingly beautiful fish. There are success stories of folks keeping them and getting them to eat prepared/frozen fare, but these are the exception rather than the rule.
+1

cordeiro
03-15-2010, 05:20 PM
okay my only thing is the cuts where on the side he was laying on.
Im just so baffled and soo sad

Fishward
03-15-2010, 05:41 PM
okay my only thing is the cuts where on the side he was laying on.
Im just so baffled and soo sad

Lots of CUC and worms in the sand. very sad to hear..

whatcaneyedo
03-15-2010, 07:14 PM
When I added my current CBB in the summer 2008 I had to remove my Purple Tang from the tank while it settled in because the tang would not stop chasing it. How aggressive were your three towards it?

cordeiro
03-15-2010, 07:38 PM
When I added my current CBB in the summer 2008 I had to remove my Purple Tang from the tank while it settled in because the tang would not stop chasing it. How aggressive were your three towards it?

When I first put him in they were by him then staied on th eopposite side of the tank, our CBB was stayin in the rocks for a little while but I did notice that my brown tang was chasing him but not for long he eventually just went to the other side of the tank and the CBB stayed alone

Edmonton newbie
03-16-2010, 02:10 AM
i have 2 cbb one in each tank both were bought at the lps only after i seen them feeding on prepard food. both put on very slow drips for about 3 hours before going into their tanks. my yellow tang was a bit of a jerk for the first day but has left the cbb alone since

plutoniumJoe
03-16-2010, 02:14 AM
I added a CBB last week but had my reservations due to all the stories. I only decided to because he was eating as demonstrated at the LFS before we bagged him. He seems to be doing well so far. He eats mysis but I got him to eat aptasia but so far he isn't interested.

Edmonton newbie
03-16-2010, 02:18 AM
i hear you there joe one of mine pushes my regal tang around to get to the mysis

whatcaneyedo
03-16-2010, 02:38 AM
I added a CBB last week but had my reservations due to all the stories. I only decided to because he was eating as demonstrated at the LFS before we bagged him. He seems to be doing well so far. He eats mysis but I got him to eat aptasia but so far he isn't interested.

Mine didnt begin to eat aptasia until it finished off all of my fan and spaghetti worms first. It took about two months so give it time.