PDA

View Full Version : Moving tank- Cleaning Sand

eternitybc
03-14-2010, 01:43 AM
We had a flood 3 months ago (not aquarium related!) and we're getting our floors replaced, which means we have to move our 55g corner tank (twice- once to bedroom, then back after floors are done)

We have all the rocks/old water/CUC (1 shrimp and 4 reef crabs- we held off buying fish, knowing this would happen) in buckets, and we're scooping the sand into seperate pails.

The sand smells pretty fishy, and has lots of bits in it. Possibly molts, etc. I'm thinking we should clean it a bit before we add it back. We also bought it second hand, and added the sand as is when we bought it. Planning to just rinse with RO water, and pick out anything big that looks likeit shouldn't be there. I'm worried about a spike of soemthign in the tank (ammonia maybe)

Any thoughts? Anythign else to be aware of when moving the tank? Other than how loud it will be in the bedroom while we're tryign to sleep ? :)

Kryptic4L
03-14-2010, 01:53 AM
personally I replace sand when given the chance

eternitybc
03-14-2010, 01:55 AM
Is there any reason to? I thought live sand was better?

Bloodasp
03-14-2010, 04:29 AM
Rinsing it with freshwater will kill a lot of organisms, and stirring sand especially if it was a deep sand bed that had no sand sifters can release toxic substances that were trapped pretty much in the sand bed.
I really don't know if it's better to use a fresh new sand or clean the ones you have and reuse it. When I transferred mine i cleaned it with the tank water added it to the new tank and just topped it off to make up for the rest of the tank. It's been a month and it seems to be doing ok.
As far as noise it depends on how you set it up, it can be anywhere from whisper quiet to as loud as a 747 flying 50 feet above your house(that might be overly excessive but who knows).