PDA

View Full Version : "tiny bubbles..."

TANGOMAN
10-13-2003, 06:33 PM
My 60g is gettin' a ton of bubbles being dumped into the tank from the sump return pipe. Not constant but every five - ten minutes a big blast is expelled. I have made some changes but it shouldn't cause this I wouldn't think ? Remember my story about the the flood caused by the evil check valve ? Well, I cleaned it. I'm runnin' a Mag 12 from the 10g sump. It seems as if air is being drawn into the lines as it travels to the tank. Like a venturi. No leaks... I'm goona' increase my sump to a 20g...some-day.
The water in the sump is pretty "turbulent" but this was never a problem before and "I don't like it...". After 5 years this starts ?
Anyone experienced problems like this before ? Am I missin' something here ? TIA !

Son Of Skyline
10-15-2003, 06:08 AM
Did you drop your water level in your sump? If my sump level goes down more than an inch my Mag12 will literally suck air from the surface once every few minutes.

TANGOMAN
10-15-2003, 01:33 PM
I first thought my water level was low as well. I have a five gallon reservoir fed via a float valve and that was "all good". I did open the output control valve a bit to increase my flow. Cutting back flow to its original position didn't fix the problem either. This pump has always made a "clattering" noise as if it had air in it...?
I'm going to use a "rubbermaid" sump and run the pump submersed this time around. A pump dissmantling and cleaning is overdue anyway. I hope that by running with the pump submersed I don't experience heat problems though. I guess I'll worry about that come August... :confused: