PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla glue for live rock

andestang
03-13-2010, 05:30 PM
So I played around with some of this stuff and must say it is insanely strong. Once cured I would break the rock before it would at the joining part. I remember Steve (stircrazy) was going to try it awhile back but I don't remember an update. Now just curious how reef safe it is. Sounds like it should be OK as it has no acids or such that would be harmful. Anyone have any experience with it ?

Kalifornia
03-13-2010, 07:44 PM
I actually have a tube of ORCA underwater glue from Aquarium Munster and am moving my 180 so going to give it a shot on bonding my rock and will let you know

Chad

StirCrazy
03-14-2010, 07:10 AM
I remember Steve (stircrazy) was going to try it awhile back but I don't remember an update.

:surprise: you know I forgot all about that..

Gorilla Glue contains urethane prepolymer, diphenylmethane-diisocyanate, isomers, and homologues. The ingredients are not considered safe for the environment if this glue is washed down a drainage system.

Acute fish toxicity LC0 > 1,000 mg/l (96 hrs.)
Toxicity for daphnia EC 50 > 1,000 mg/l (24 hrs.)
Acute bacteria toxicity EC 50 > 100 mg/l (3 hrs.)

not sure if I would use it. might be worth trying in a quarenteen tank with some frags you don't care about.

Steve

Buzz
03-14-2010, 04:35 PM
A friend of mine uses it all the time I have some frags in my tank with gorrila glue and we have seen no negative side effects.

mike31154
03-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Just guessing here, but I think it may be similar to epoxy in that after it cures, it is inert. I've used it to seal the screws when I mount bindings on to my skis due to the water proof nature after curing. It is quite reactive with water prior to curing and if I remember correctly, use of some water on surfaces to be bonded is recommended to aid curing. So perhaps as long as you bond components outside of the system and allow sufficient curing time, it might be ok. But again, I'm just speculating. Looks like hhunkybod has had no problems.