PDA

View Full Version : bday pics!

smokinreefer
10-12-2003, 11:47 PM
heres what i've got so far :lol: ...
blue stripe pipefish...pls ignore the dirt spot on the plastic container...i dont like to clean :biggrin:
http://members.shaw.ca/smokinreefer/pipefish.jpg
and my new maxima...
http://members.shaw.ca/smokinreefer/maxima.jpg
now who bought a large maxima from Big Als(burnaby)???
c'mon, fess up!
i went down yesterday and was gonna buy it, but i had to make sure i could clear out enough sandbed for it, i went back today, and it's sold. :evil: oh well, so i look around the fish tanks again, cuz they got fish in yesterday, and they have a very juvenile wet morella(spelling), so i ask the guy how much, he goes to check, and its sold too! when i actually wanna buy something there i can't! throw me a bone! :lol:

Samw
10-13-2003, 12:07 AM
I must say, those are lovely looking gifts.

EmilyB
10-13-2003, 12:27 AM
That pipefish is SO AWESOME :eek: :cool:

props
10-13-2003, 03:11 AM
dood go to big als in richmond they have about 20+ clams
ranging from $44-199
=o)

psuedo
10-13-2003, 05:18 AM
nice pipefish Shao. Do you have several of them already? If not you should consider it, as they like to sleep in schools. This is what I have heard. Nice clam as well

EmilyB
10-13-2003, 06:44 AM
nice pipefish Shao. Do you have several of them already? If not you should consider it, as they like to sleep in schools. This is what I have heard

can you elaborate on that?

I am planning a 120g mixed species pipefish tank. I have two different banded species and they are getting along very well.

smokinreefer
10-13-2003, 08:50 AM
thanks everyone.
no, i only have the one pipe fish. the guy said it came in by mistake. and was the only one there. i would like to get atleast another one. so if any one sees some more blue sided pipefish, please let me know.
these are small guys, 2-3" max.

Big Als now has several of the grey "dragon" pipefish.

kris
10-13-2003, 09:49 AM
Hey Shao, just thought id give you a heads up on the pipe fish.. well the blue stripe. In my reasarch and breading of pipe fish. ( although rasing young is harder then it seems) THe blue strip likes to either be in a situation as a mated pare, or in a school of 5... well an odd number over 3. like 5, but then if 2 pare up... you have a group of three again so you need 2 more.. if there is an odd one out it might be killed by the others. pipe fish are not dosile fish, they are quite taritorial to simular fish. Also if not given a proper diet they parish quickly. you can think of them as having a high motablism... so they need food full of the good stuff. straight mise is not the best thing. i sugest a typical blend of fresh sea food blended up. I have noticed that if not given a proper diet they do become pale. Of curse this is if you can get them to eat none live food. As well they do not like to be in strong current and need plenty of places to hid. if you have any questions feel free to PM or post back

Cheers!

smokinreefer
10-13-2003, 09:59 AM
well it came into the LFS mistakenly, so there was only the one individual specimen.

however, i would like to atleast find it a mate, or as you mentioned, get a small school. mine is quite a little guy, so i highly doubt it can eat mysis. thus far, it is only feeding on the tanks abundant microfauna.

maybe i will try some frozen baby brine first.

and yes, i have noticed it to be quite the active little fishy. :biggrin:

kris
10-13-2003, 10:21 AM
the thing with the pair is you mgiht have problems if its not a male and a female. two males may tend to be agressive, although i have heard that they will be happy and keep to them selves suring the day and be togeather at night. They are great little fish... actually my favouret pipe fish.

For the feeding, you know those eye droper things you get with test kits... i used those to targe feed. The pipe fish is a fairly socal fish, and will learn to go right up to the top of the tank and feed there. Oh something eles i did was soack the food in some garlic extract and some selcon. They seem to go to fozen food quicker whne i did that.

well its late cheers!

psuedo
10-13-2003, 03:07 PM
I think King Eds has one in their tanks right now. It looks very similar to yours. It might even still be there, that is if you haven't already got it

EmilyB
10-13-2003, 05:59 PM
Shao, you might try Hikari mysis soaked in Selcon to get it interested. Those mysis are pretty small, and that is the only kind my pipes would take in the beginning. It is still their favorite for some reason, although they do now go after the big PE and gut it. Mine only go after food actively moving in the flow.

smokinreefer
10-13-2003, 07:39 PM
thanks for the suggestions everyone.

and yep, mine is the one from king ed.

from what i have read, i believe mine to be a female. they say males have a little "hook" near their mouths. but i'll have to do a little more reading to be sure.

Samw
11-02-2003, 10:47 PM
Hey Shao. I saw 2 of them today. Are you still looking for a mate for yours? I also saw 2 banded and 2 jansis pipefish.