PDA

View Full Version : mystery wrasse health problems

asylumdown
03-10-2010, 05:01 AM
I recently obtained a very small mystery wrasse. It's maybe 1.5-1.8 inches long and when I bought it, it was in a tank at the LFS with a bunch of other wrasses of all types that were much bigger than it. It's tail fin was a bit tattered, something that I had hoped was simply the result of bullying, but two days after I got it in to quarantine, I noticed that 2 small patches on one side of it's body and one large patch on the other side were eroding badly. The erosion of it's fins were getting worse as well. I immediately began treating with Furan-2 and after completing the recommended 4 day course it's fins had begun to re-grow but the eroded patches of skin had not recovered at all. I then began a second dosing of Furan-2 with a supplemental half dose of melafix. It's now been a week, and it's fins have recovered almost completely but the eroded patches on it's body have yet to show noticeable signs of improvement. It's incredibly peppy, eats like a pig and other than the skin seeming to be lacking several layers in these patches, exhibits no signs of ongoing bacterial infection (no discoloration, condition isn't getting worse etc.). I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience in this area and knows how long I should continue treatment. I'm not going to put it in to the display tank until I'm confident it's well - if for no other reason than getting it out would be be next to impossible if it's condition worsened - but I don't want to be medicating needlessly.

any suggestions?

untamed
03-10-2010, 05:31 AM
I've seen something similar on my Xmas wrasse twice over the past 2 years. Both times, it happened overnight, suddenly and he healed up over the following few days.

I suspect it is the result of choosing a bad spot to sleep in. They sleep under the sand. Possibly they come into contact with a pocket of nastiness in the sand bed. Just my theory.

bvlester
03-10-2010, 06:27 AM
Keep using the Melifix that will aid in the healing process and also will help protect the open area from secondary infections as it kills protozoa like ICK and bacteria. You can also use a bit of stress coat as it will aid in helping the fish to produce its slime coat, it also help remove ammonia. The removal of ammonia does not happen with all stress coat type of products, so read the bottles before buying.

Bill

christyf5
03-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Deeper skin lesions can sometimes take longer to heal than just superficial ones. I'm with Brad on this one, he's probably just picked some bad spots to sleep and tried to wedge himself in the rocks too tightly, possibly exacerbating the lesions that are already there. I'd say as long as he's eating his body will be working to heal it and he should be fine.