PDA

View Full Version : Sick after tank maintenance

Bryan
10-11-2003, 08:24 PM
Is it just me or do other reefers experience flu like symtoms after performing maintenace in their tank. Almost everytime I spend a lot of time cleaning the algae of the glass or siphoning bubble algae I experience a sore throat and a ammonia like taste in my nose and mouth. The next day i feel almost hung over.

I am careful not to touch the zoo's and no open cuts in my hand. Maybe time to use those long gloves.

Strange?

AJ_77
10-11-2003, 08:33 PM
No symptoms here - maybe you should check/get checked for sensitivities or allergies? Then there was that nasty article awhile back about zoos & toxins, etc...

I certainly don't wipe my eyes or put my hands near my mouth after mucking about in the tank, and a good wash afterward is mandatory.

Chad
10-11-2003, 09:09 PM
Hmm, Zoo's are toxic? I had no idea..

I bought those long gloves after reading that article.. the only problem with them is that you have no feeling.. I have squished more than one coral because I had no idea I was even touching it. I would like to get those long hospital gloves. If anyone knows where to get those please post it here.

Chad

Tau2301
10-12-2003, 12:14 AM
You can get them from your Proctologist. I am sure from the way that it feels that the gloves must go all the way up to the shoulder. :eek:

Just ask for a pair… :mrgreen:

robbyville
10-12-2003, 01:16 AM
I never really have the syptoms that you are talking about but I have gotten the odd rash when working for too long or too near my anemones. Perhaps you're having some type of allergic reaction.

Ditto on the gloves, they have helped a lot, plus no fears of colognes, etc getting into the tank.

Hope you feel better!

Rob