PDA

View Full Version : leaking HELP :(

Devonious
03-09-2010, 01:36 AM
Unfortantly my blue plastic refugium has a leak, does any one know of any glue or substance i can use before i have to drain it? If not where is UFA?

Thanks
Devan

Kryptic4L
03-09-2010, 01:38 AM
you could try the reef safe silicone, I believe red coral carries it.

Delphinus
03-09-2010, 01:41 AM
Oh man that is not good, I'm sorry to hear!! :(

I would use a two-part epoxy. Bad part is you will have to drain it and let it dry, then let the glue cure for 24 hours before refilling.

If that doesn't work ... I would call a place that sells kayaks, like Campers Village or Aquabatics, and ask how they would go about fixing a leak in a plastic (ie. not fibreglass) kayak - there has to be a way to fix those. See if they sell anything.

Good luck man !! :neutral:

PS. Silicone might work too actually. Worth a shot anyhow.

Delphinus
03-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Ok did some quick googling (on kayaks) and this one site shows a plastic rod that you melt into the crack to fuse it back together.

http://www.oceankayak.com/product_support/repair.html

So that's an option but sounds a little labour intensive and maybe a wild goose chase to find the parts (heat gun and then the plastic rod itself - although call around, I bet some kayak/canoe store, maybe even Mountain Equipment Co-Op) has something. So maybe first try the silicone idea .. just use a generous amount of a glop over the hole .. and failing that, maybe see if PVC or ABS cement might work.

Good luck!!

Delphinus
03-09-2010, 01:50 AM
Or an acylic patch applied over the hole, and use Weld-on 16 to attach it?

I can give you some scrap acrylic, but I don't have any weld-on so you need to get some (couple dollars from Industrial Paints and Plastics over in Builder's Park by Chinook).

Devonious
03-09-2010, 02:11 AM
Well thanks for the information, its at the bottom where there seems to be a little plug i have tried more then 5 types of silicone, 5min epoxy, plumbers instant glue, krazy glue and many tapes i have even tried a hot glue gun. The acylic patch would work if the plug was flat. I dont belive anything can dry when thiers even a slight bit of water. I have been fighting this leak for over two weeks and fifty towels later i think its enough. Before my parents kill me i think it would be better if i just found a new one, does anyone know where UFA's retail store is?
Thanks

365seasons
03-09-2010, 02:24 AM
Red Coral carries an underwater silicon called Orca.
It's a little bit pricy, but we used it to repair our overflow underwater.

Might be your best option without draining the tank.

hope that helps.

Devonious
03-09-2010, 02:38 AM
If i have no luck at UFA then i will give that a try.
Thanks

Delphinus
03-09-2010, 03:10 AM
Well shoot man I am really sorry. :(

Can you snap a picture of it?

Can the plug be drilled out, and replaced with a bulkhead? I suppose doing this there is no turning back though.. But what I was thinking is you put a bulkhead on it then a pipe with a valve that you can close. Then you can use this for water changes, just attach a hose to the nearest floor drain or something like that. Or just a bulkhead with a plug.

I noticed a couple weeks ago that UFA moved. Used to be they were just off Macleod by 42nd Avenue. Not anymore. Just checking their website, looks like the agricultural division moved clear out of town. There's one up in Airdrie and another in Strathmore. Oh and High River. Stellar. :(

http://www.ufa.net/locations/LocationLanding.html

Delphinus
03-09-2010, 03:18 AM
And yet I see a couple listings for UFA in yellowpages.ca. For example -
http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Alberta/Calgary/U-F-A/5968750.html

I dunno. Maybe shoot them a call before you start driving to Strathmore or High River or Airdrie and see if they have any livestock watering troughs :(

Devonious
03-09-2010, 05:03 AM
I will get the photo tomorrow, I have already put a foot of sand in the bucket so getting that out is going to be the hard part. I am just going to look around calgary for something that may work.
Thanks for the help!