PDA

View Full Version : Bristel worm????

Fishguy52
03-08-2010, 04:58 AM
i found a bristelworm in my tank the other night, are they bad? will they kill my livestock?

it is about 8" long and nasty looking, i dont think i like him:lol:

outacontrol
03-08-2010, 05:01 AM
they are fine, they are good scavengers and help to get any uneaten food, or dead animal.
but becareful not to touch it with your skin, the little bristles will break off in your skin and really hurt.
if they get too big and unsitely just grab them will some big tweezers and flush

Chase31
03-08-2010, 06:33 AM
heard table shrimp in a nylon stalking, and they'll get stuck in the nylon. and just flush, if you do happen to get some bristles in your hand somehow just soak your finger or whatever has the bristles in vinegar and it will dissolve the spikes

thats if you want to get rid of it

+1 on what outacontrol said though :p

RIPTANK
03-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Get use to it 'cause they're everywhere. Had my fair share of bristles and trying to pluck them out with tweezers... Damn near impossible to find and really irritating.

Now whenever I have to move my LR or corals I always wear vinyl disposable gloves.

Seamazter
03-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Buy a yellow coris wrasse, these are candy to them. They spend all day trying to find and eat this little tasty treats.

infamous
03-09-2010, 06:05 PM
I haven't experienced bristleworm myself, but from what I understand, their bristles will start to wear out your rock. Carve it out as it (and it's bristles) moves around for an extended period of time. I think that some people don't mind them and they can live in your sump as well. But, they could end up back in the tank. They definitely aren't a friendly creature and I would suggest removing it from your tank as they will harm your livestock. The Coral Banded Shrimp is also a natural predator of the bristleworm and could be a good aid in it's removal. Good luck with the bristleworm!

Fishguy52
03-09-2010, 11:03 PM
thanks everyone!!!
i removed the big one last night, and will get a shrimp or wrass asap to help keep the little ones under control if there is any in there.

the help we all give eachother is what makes this site great!!!!