PDA

View Full Version : Maroon Clowns love 'em or hate 'em?

pelle31
03-08-2010, 12:31 AM
I think I'm really starting to like the Maroon Clowns. Anyone here kept them?
Anyone currently have any in their tanks? Anyone have pics? Are they readily available for sale? Anyone have any for sale? Ok enough questions.

ScubaSteve
03-08-2010, 02:27 AM
Mine is a gorgeous fish and looks great in the tank... however, it is also a complete and total a**hole and I would really like to punch it square in the mouth. There, I said it! They can be pretty territorial; mine for example believes the entire tank is his realm and that my hand, even if it is holding food, should be punished for trespassing. It will bite onto my hand hard enough that I can lift my hand out of the water and he'll still be holding on.

Grudges aside, he is a cool fish and everyone who sees that tank loves him.

viperfish
03-08-2010, 02:43 AM
I bought a pair from Kelly at The Reef Shoppe just recently. I just love these guy. Mine are hosting my GBTA, sure adds character to the tank.

Fishward
03-08-2010, 02:58 AM
i just got one off a guy who was donwsizing. no problems yet with territoriality, but i guess the fact i have a dwarf angel and a yellow tang with him keeps him in line. they may bully less agressive fish. lovely lookin fish though.

Pescador
03-08-2010, 03:06 AM
Mine is a gorgeous fish and looks great in the tank... however, it is also a complete and total a**hole and I would really like to punch it square in the mouth. There, I said it! They can be pretty territorial; mine for example believes the entire tank is his realm and that my hand, even if it is holding food, should be punished for trespassing. It will bite onto my hand hard enough that I can lift my hand out of the water and he'll still be holding on.

Grudges aside, he is a cool fish and everyone who sees that tank loves him.

My sentiments exactly. Mine must be from the same litter.

hillbillyreefer
03-08-2010, 03:26 AM
Mine is fine. But he is in a my kids softie tank by himself, with no plans to add another fish. I can do any maintenance and feed without problems. I did have a percula that would attack as soon as you put anything into the tank. Guess it depends on the fish.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-08-2010, 03:27 AM
IMO, they are the most beautiful & have the strongest "personalities" of the clownfishes, but once they mature, man can they be mean buggers.

I had a pair of gold striped maroons in a 210g with 5-6 large anemones & they wouldn't let the half dozen false percs (my wife insisted on getting these) host any of the anemones. They would simply swim from anemone to anemone and attack any other clown that even looked at one. Eventually had to rehome all the false percs & then later the GSMCs.

They are also strong buggers. The large female would pull a 10-12 head frogspawn out of its hole and chuck it across the tank, killing off a head or two each time. What a PITA.

Anthony

xtreme
03-08-2010, 04:02 AM
I had a gold stripe for over 2 years. Very nice looking fish but would not allow me to place any corals near his anemone. Just sold him a couple weeks ago, sad to see him go.

Chaloupa
03-08-2010, 04:51 AM
Had a gorgeous pair, loved them other than their slightly nasty behaviour!

BlueWorldAquatic
03-08-2010, 03:29 PM
The biggest thing I like from Maroons is the fact that they go out of their way to feed their anenomies. The fist mouthful usually goes to feed their "HOST", I don't see that much in other clowns. Seen it in Black Ocelleris but not all of them like in maroons.

Ken

rodsboys
03-08-2010, 09:17 PM
i just got one off a guy who was donwsizing. no problems yet with territoriality, but i guess the fact i have a dwarf angel and a yellow tang with him keeps him in line. they may bully less agressive fish. lovely lookin fish though.

Grrr! your the one that beat me to it.

rodsboys
03-08-2010, 09:20 PM
I had a gold stripe for over 2 years. Very nice looking fish but would not allow me to place any corals near his anemone. Just sold him a couple weeks ago, sad to see him go.

That fish is doing great with a new mate about 1/3 her size.Instant couple ,no aggresion.
However my lil guy (who use to be a wimp) now thinks he is untouchable and will try to bully any other fish that come near his flowerpot.lol

pelle31
03-08-2010, 11:27 PM
I like the fact they seem to have a personality and are a little nasty. I may have to track a couple down.