PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse Fry Setup FS/Trade Edmonton

Beverly
10-10-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally, I wanted only female H. whitei seahorses so I wouldn't have to raise any fry. As it turned out, in the last shipment of H. whitei from my trusty supplier, three males developed from the young SHs I was sent. Knowing there might be fry produced, I looked for and found some folks to take the fry after they were born. However, at the last moment they backed out, and we reluctantly scrambled to set up an extensive brine shrimp hatchery and a fry raising set up.

Our male that has been producing fry has become sick and I am not sure I will be able to get a local vet to prescribe the med required to help him. Even if I am able to nurse him back to health, the consuming nature of raising fry is doing me in both physically and emotionally. I also have a younger male who may begin breeding soon and producing fry. His fry would also need someone to raise them.

So, I am looking for someone locally who can take the bs hatchery and fry raising set up. If no one is available locally, I am willing to ship the current brood of 10-15 11 day old, and any fry the younger male produces.

FYI, H. whitei are subtropical and require year round temps of 72-77 F.

Please PM me if you are interested.

jgoldsney
10-10-2003, 02:25 PM
Hey Beverly....

There was a fellow named Russ in Fort Saskatchewan that used to be on the old edmonton reefers mailing list.

He was getting in to seahorses at one point in time....

Unfortunately I don't have his last name or e-mail addy but mabie someone here may have it

Joel

Beverly
10-10-2003, 02:39 PM
Hi Joel,

I have spoken to him recently. He is not interested in raising fry.

Beverly
10-10-2003, 04:48 PM
The fry are all gone. Just have the fry bowls and grow out tanks, and bs hatchery to go.

The hatchery can be used to hatch and enrich either bs, rotifers, or whatever. The four 3.5 gal tanks on the shelf above the bottles are for bs/rotifer grow out. Here a photo of the hatchery:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/hh-bw-28gal-sept22-bbs-hatchery-2.jpg

Here is a photo of the fry raising setup:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/hh-bw-28gal-sept22-frybowls-tanks-1.jpg

The bowls are rigged with airline that can be used for fry other than seahorse fry. The two five gal tanks on the right are rigged with sponge filters and airline and are fry grow out tanks.

Chad
10-10-2003, 07:56 PM
Holy cow that look like a lot of work :exclaim:

I can see why you want to get out of it... :eek: