PDA

View Full Version : Too many LED's for moon lighting???

zum14
03-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Hello, so i have a setup that has 8 LED's for moon lighting and im just wondering if thats maybe too much light for nightime? Its a 46 Gal tank, i just dont want to stress everyone out with it not getting dark enough. I dunno i was thinking maybe 6? I do like to watch my tank at night alot so i was hoping more then 2 would be ok. Thanks.

Stones
03-07-2010, 12:50 PM
I don't think 8 LEDs is too many unless they are the big 3+ watt style ones. My old moonlight had about 36 wide angle blue LED's (over a 48" tank) and it just gave the tank that nice dim blue shimmer at night.

banditpowdercoat
03-07-2010, 02:57 PM
I can probibally build you a dimmer for your LED's if you need?

zum14
03-07-2010, 04:29 PM
I can probibally build you a dimmer for your LED's if you need?

ill do some resistance checks on them cause they are pretty bright, they may be the 3w. I never thought about a dimmer thats a great idea! these ones are just 12V so thatd be easy, Thanks a lot!

banditpowdercoat
03-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Best way to find power of LED's is current draw. LED's don't measure like regular resistive devices do some times. Voltage/current=resistance

And a slight little modification of my Fan Speed controls would enable them to be used as a 12VDC 20W+ dimmer

zum14
03-08-2010, 06:08 AM
Best way to find power of LED's is current draw. LED's don't measure like regular resistive devices do some times. Voltage/current=resistance

And a slight little modification of my Fan Speed controls would enable them to be used as a 12VDC 20W+ dimmer

really? Hmm... ive never ran into that problem yet at work but will definitly remember it next time im scratching my head over a problem. Thanks again. So now im just thinking here but doesnt that dimmer vary the voltage to the source? The reason i ask is that the power source im using i can easily switch to 9vdc or 7.5vdc down to 3.5vdc. So just thinking but if too bright, drop it down to 9V? What do ya think? or am i missing somthing again??? Thanks for the help.

banditpowdercoat
03-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Ya for sure, you can use the other voltages. LED's dim nicely with lower voltages.

The reason LED's can be tricky to measure resistance is it's all dependent on the current driven through them. They are not fixed like a resistor.