PDA

View Full Version : OMG a monster in my tank!

Borderjumper
03-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Ive had this tank up for years. Nothing much surprises me anymore, but this morning when the lights can on there was a big brown patch of I thought sponge on the side of a rack I keep my acan frags in.. after a cup of coffee I realized that a sponge couldnt have grown overnight.. so I went and poked it ( I poke things alot when I dont know what they are) and it frickin moved!

Its a flat worm or something, but its an inch wide and like 3-4 inches long depending on how stretched out it is.. I took some pics and will add them after breakfast.. yuckie thing!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Carrida/IMG_0260-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Carrida/IMG_0262-1.jpg

i have crabs
03-06-2010, 07:59 PM
that is one big flatworm,better you than me i guess

corpusse
03-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Looks to be a polyclad. Not sure exactly what kind but be warned, some will eat snails, calms and other things you don't want eaten.

I had a quite a few in my tank years ago losing many snails, a baby clam, and even my sanddollar. I would remove it to be safe.

Just a couple weeks ago when I moved some rocks I found another. So if you have one, you likely have many.

Borderjumper
03-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Looks to be a polyclad. Not sure exactly what kind but be warned, some will eat snails, calms and other things you don't want eaten.

I had a quite a few in my tank years ago losing many snails, a baby clam, and even my sanddollar. I would remove it to be safe.

Just a couple weeks ago when I moved some rocks I found another. So if you have one, you likely have many.

Oh trust me.. its removed! Nothing seems missing in my tank.. I did have some issues with a few chalice in that tank. I moved them to my display and they perked up pretty fast. I figured it was a water issue.. but maybe this thing was making a late night snack of them.

corpusse
03-06-2010, 08:33 PM
I think they only eat Mullusks not corals. At least the kind I had were. Mine were darker and had spots so I think what you have is a different species.

I would check your tank for more at least if some rocks can easily be moved. Another place to check would be on the bottom of clams. I'm not suggesting you tear down your tank but if you have any areas that are easy to check it's worth a look imo.

Delphinus
03-06-2010, 10:21 PM
I have (had?) one in my cube. Never knew it was there, in fact, until I did a prazi treatment for flukes. About 6 hours after treating the tank I saw one floating around and get sucked into one of the powerheads. Not sure what happened to it after that.

At any rate I have some 14 clams in the tank and never noticed a problem with them. Although snails on the other hand don't seem to do too well for me, but you just never really know what's up with snails anyhow it seems to me, so I'm not too keen to jump to any conclusions on that one.

globaldesigns
03-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Yuck!!!! it looks like a liver.