PDA

View Full Version : Anybody dive Cabo San Lucas?

doch
03-05-2010, 04:59 PM
We're going down to Cabo mid April... I'm thinking about taking a few dives down there... maybe get my certification...? Anybody have any recommendations as to companies to go with, places to dive etc?

DiverDude
03-08-2010, 07:47 PM
I've never been diving in Cabo -just the other coast. Diving in Mexico seems to be feast or famine. the stuff I've done on the Mayan Riviera was pretty plain. The Cenote (inland fresh water sinkholes) were mind-blowing though. I wouldn't recommend them for a newbie though -you're diving in caves and need to have pretty good buoyancy control.

If you go to:
http://www.padi.com/scuba/locate-a-padi-dive-shop/default.aspx

And enter cabo san lucas, you'll find a number of PADI Dive shops. PADI isn't the only certification body around but they are perhaps the largest and their standards are high and you will get good training. I'd suggest you google each of the shops listed and see what you can find in terms of a review.

A word of advice: You're running short on time but I'd STRONGLY recommend that you go to your local dive shop up here and take the theory part of the certification HERE. Why ? 1) It'll be far cheaper 2) It'll be in good english 3) It will leave you all your vacation time for diving a mojitos when you're in Cabo instead of sitting in a classroom.

This is called a "referral dive". So named because the PADI shop up here will do half your training (the theory) and then "refer" you to the shop down there for the open water dives you need to complete for certification.

doch
03-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks a bunch Mark.

So, the stuff up here is just theory, and no pool dives? I was thinking about trying to get in for the class/pool stuff here and then heading down. My girlfriend doesn't really seem too excited about the dives... I'd likely get shot if I spent a bunch of time in a classroom... with or without her!! If I only di 1 or 2 dives while down there, would I be able to wait a year or so and use the next dives towards my ticket?

Thanks again!

DiverDude
03-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Actually, you would do pool dives up here too -just the open water stuff down there. Ideally, you want to call the shop ahead of time and make sure your local shop gets all the necessary paperwork down to the cabo shop so when you arrive, you do your open water dives and then can spend any extra water time doing full dives.

I feel your pain when your travel partner isn't a diver. If you're luck, a good dive outfit is either on your resort or nearby. You can often do a morning dive and be back in plenty of time for other activities. My wife is pretty forgiving on that front. She'll have a lazy morning with our son while I dive and then from ~11 or 12 onwards we do stuff together.

The only other option is for you to take a separate trip sometime with a diving buddy and just dive, dive, dive (and leave the lady at home).

I would make sure you complete all the needed dives while you're there. I don't know how long before they 'expire' but it's only a few dives so just get them done. If you're like me, your once a year trip is pretty much your ONLY chance to dive all year so make the most of it !

reef_rookie
03-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Well I have been there a ton but never went diving! But my brother was there in November 09 and did some diving. Wow!! He didn't have pictures of coral or smaller fish but was swimming with a group of hammer head sharks, about 50 if I recall. He said it was amazing and very professional. Sorry but I can't remember the company he went with. Just do it! it will be way better then the North Sask River!!