PDA

View Full Version : need hitch hiker shed id

JenniferL
03-05-2010, 03:54 AM
This guy came as a hitch hiker on my LR. I have only seem a few quick glimpses of him through holes in the rock. I found his shed a couple days ago and wondering from this if anyone can tell me if he is bad. I do have some corals in my tank now, but I'm thinking he doesn't look very reef safe. The shed is next to a teaspoon so you can get an idea of how big he is right now.
thanks

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab323/JenLab83/IMG_0194.jpg

corpusse
03-05-2010, 04:19 AM
Eliminate him.

Too bad you're not closer we could feed him to one of my cuttlefish. They turn crabs around so the claws can't hurt them while they eat them alive.

I don't know the species, but all crabs in rock are evil. Pretty much all crabs except acro crabs.

I can't tell from the pic but if he is furry he is for sure bad news, or if he has red eyes. Anyway if you can catch him I would. If you feel bad killing him then at the very least banish him to the sump.

Abe
03-05-2010, 04:26 AM
if you want to kill him, just know where he is and use a skewer and poke him with it, thats what i did with mine. I heard they are bad so he is gone :)

christyf5
03-05-2010, 04:29 AM
Definitely bad. I don't like the looks of those claws, they look like flesh tearers.

ScubaSteve
03-05-2010, 06:54 AM
Yarr, that be a Xanthid crab. I had one that I caught a few times with two claws full of green candy cane flesh. Too bad the S.O.B. is fast. Stupid thing drove me to the point where I ripped off the shirt and dove in after him (literally). Give him the Royal Flush!

blacknife
03-05-2010, 02:52 PM
I have 4-5 in my tank they dont seem to do much but eat algee when they are little... either way 3 of them have made it to my sump.. im just waiting to catch the other buggers.

i think they killed off my emerald crab too, but the emerald was a little smaller than them.

Norstar
03-06-2010, 03:24 PM
A hammer will do the jog quickly! :)

fiorano
03-06-2010, 04:28 PM
i found a crab or 2 like that in my tank. they met my mantis... for about 5 minutes haha

JenniferL
03-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Too bad I don't have a sump....so it'll be the garbage for him. Now if only I could find him let alone catch him. I only get a glimpse of him if I happen to be looking at the right spot at the right time! My rock is pretty porous so he has lots of places to hide.