PDA

View Full Version : moving day

christyf5
04-27-2002, 07:20 PM
Hey guys
So I'm moving on Tuesday and was wondering about my sandbed. Since I can't leave it in the tank and move it (too damn heavy) and I'm going to disturb it anyway, can I rinse it with RO/DI water to get some of the crap out of it (I don't think there is much life in there anyway except for bacteria which will probably die pretty quickly after sipboning the tank) or should I just haul it out, put it in a bucket and reinstall at the new place??

TIA
Christy smile.gif

DJ88
04-27-2002, 08:49 PM
Christy,

I'd leave it be as much as possible. But that is my thoughts. You really can do anythign you want but if you wash it your tank will probably have a bit longer cycle when you set it up again.

christyf5
04-27-2002, 10:40 PM
Thanks Darren,
I'll see if I can find a couple of big brutes to heft my tank. I'm worried about the weight and cracking it. I guess I'll try not to disturb it but its gonna be dang hard.

BTW, Happy Belated Birthday

Christy smile.gif

Aquattro
04-27-2002, 11:04 PM
Christy, I just moved and I left the sand in the tank. I think it helped a lot with minimizing the damage. Mine is a 75g and it took four people to navigate the doors, but two could carry it. Two people should be able to move yours easily.

christyf5
04-28-2002, 03:37 PM
Hey Brad
Did you move it on a board or something so the tank didn't twist? How thick??

Christy smile.gif

Aquattro
04-28-2002, 07:21 PM
Christy, we just picked it up. However, I have a double bottom on my tank. Yours is a 45, right? I wouldn't worry about lateral twisting with a 12" width.
Also, I think wood would twist as much as glass anyway, if not more.
They're stronger than you think...when I moved my 45 with DSB from one end of the house to the other, I just lifted an end and dragged it!