PDA

View Full Version : sps,LPS, clams lighting???

Fishguy52
03-04-2010, 03:56 AM
I have a 130 redsea max (29gallon tank volume) wondering if i can have sps LPS and or clams under the lights i have
lighting is:
2x55watt t5 power compacts they are mixed bulds ( blue and white light) tank hight is 19".
i have had these before but under MH just wonding could not find a lot of info in the web about this kind of light

thank you

ScubaSteve
03-04-2010, 04:04 AM
Under PC's you can usually get away with LPS no problem but I doubt you'd be able to successfully keep a clam. You'd need T5s at the minimum for those badboys. If someone is keeping clams under PCs, please prove me wrong becaused I'd love to stick one in my biocube.

BlueAbyss
03-04-2010, 05:08 AM
You could probably get away with it if the clams were very close to the PCs... I mean, they would probably survive for a while at least (EDIT: given good quality, regularly changed bulbs :wink: ), though long term would be iffy (stronger light = stronger clam, better able to ride out situations that would do a weak clam in). There are some SPS that have done well under PCs, though your selection would be pretty limited (and they would do better under stronger light). A T. squamosa might be alright really close to the PCs (like a few inches) but for sure not croceas or maximas.

T5 would definitely be a better choice in a tank that deep, PCs don't penetrate depth very well at all.

I plan to refurbish my current 10 gallon reef into a 10 gallon single clam tank later this year. I've been pretty smitten with them since I signed up on Canreef and the tank is coming to the age where I can start to consider it.

Fishguy52
03-05-2010, 04:39 AM
thanks for the tips guys, looks like i will stick to the leater coal i love!!!