PDA

View Full Version : my new tank

eposer
10-08-2003, 11:50 PM
Here's a quick pic of my new tank I put together last night, all that's left to do tonight is add the two side corner braces. I'll be posting a full article with pics once I have it up and running next week.

http://www.eposer.com/pics/new_tank.jpg

~120 gallon corner tank (24" tall by 40" on each of the 3 longest sides)
1/2" glass all round with a starphire front pane
All edges are polished and beveled, front panes are mitred at 22.5 degrees where they meet so there's no gap.
2X 1 1/2" overflows
1X 1 1/2" return

Evan.

Jack
10-09-2003, 12:04 AM
:eek: That is sooo nice...

Buccaneer
10-09-2003, 12:08 AM
That looks awesome Evan ! :cool: ... cant wait to see it when it is running ... Great job !

Cheers

Samw
10-09-2003, 12:16 AM
SWEET as candy!!!

Very nice. I love Pentagons for a corner tank.

christyf5
10-09-2003, 01:32 AM
WOW :cool: Impressive job!!! Can't wait to see it filled :biggrin:

Christy :)

kuatto
10-09-2003, 01:52 AM
Great job,can't wait to see it all set up!

andestang
10-09-2003, 03:08 AM
Nice job, make sure to post the pictures of the up & running :biggrin: Do you have a stand already made for it ?

AJ_77
10-09-2003, 04:41 AM
WOW! Who made you the glass pieces? Was it pretty straightforward, assembling it? I would think that a person might need some sort of expertise for something of this calibre...

Oh wait, that's YOU.

:biggrin:

Canadian Man
10-09-2003, 05:20 AM
Evan, It look's like there is a complete glass top on the tank now?
whats up with that?

Very good looking work. Tony and I were just talking about you building a tank tonight durring our "New reactor building session"

cheers

eposer
10-09-2003, 03:02 PM
I can't wait to have it set up either. Monday I'm moving everything from my other tank into this one. I had the Glass Guild do all the cutting, mitering, and polishing of the glass. Nope, No glass top, just some funnt reflections. I even impressed myself with this project. The seams on the front panes are sooooooo.... perfect! That's the stand you can see to the left, it's made from 3/4 MDF with a 2" X 1" plated steel beam across the front edge so I have a 40" opening for easy access.

With the front seams finished and the grate on the overflow.
http://www.eposer.com/pics/new_tank_02.jpg

Evan.

Canadian Man
10-09-2003, 03:28 PM
If you don't mind me asking Evan;
How much for the glass and their time and such?

eposer
10-09-2003, 04:01 PM
$825 For all the 1/2" glass and machining costs.
$10 for the silicone
$8 for the egg crate

$843 total materials & labour(not including my own) cost for the tank.

A bit less $ than an allglass 92g bowfront corner tank(which I cannot stand the distortion on), and about half the price of having the exact same pentagon tank custom built locally.

Evan.

Canadian Man
10-09-2003, 04:45 PM
So who did you get your local price to build it from?

Not InterAmerican I assume?

eposer
10-09-2003, 04:56 PM
I talked to both InterAmerican and Aqua Enterprises.
It's the glass thickness, starphire, polishing, and especially the mitered joints that would make this tank so much $. I could have had Aqua Enterprises build it for about $900.00 without the polishing, mitering, and the starphire glass but I wanted a nice show quality tank with straight clean seams and satin smooth edges, which is what I have now :biggrin:

Evan.

Skimmerking
10-09-2003, 05:36 PM
Well I'm thinking now about getting one of those made :rolleyes:

Maybe i will down size and put that one in the corner of my rec room in stead of the 280 sell that one. \
What ya think doug up for a challenge!!!!!!
ANd Jayson if you se this wanna get me a price on the glass with the 22.5 angle corners with the 1.5 " over flow with the 2 x 1" returns.

Mike

AJ_77
10-09-2003, 05:42 PM
You go, Mike! I can see these catching on... definitely a beauty, unless you're looking for Tang space. (Mind you, at the greatest width it looks like you've got about 4 ft. there -- the size of this thing is a little deceiving isn't it? :eek: )

EmilyB
10-09-2003, 06:06 PM
Oh Evan, that is simply awesome ! We might be asking you some questions.... :mrgreen:

eposer
10-09-2003, 07:12 PM
If anybody wants the blueprints I'll put them up on my site next week along with some helpful tips.

The size is a little decieving. It's actually 55" across inside from corner to corner and 30" of from the front pane to the near side of the overflow.

Evan.

Delphinus
10-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Yes, very "wow" all around. Can't wait for the next Calgary meeting, which you will be hosting of course. :lol: Whoops did I let the cat out of the bag???!! :eek: :razz: :wink:

christyf5
10-09-2003, 07:14 PM
Hmm, I may have to come back for that one! :cool:

spikehs
10-09-2003, 11:13 PM
looks awsome :exclaim:

ToeCutter
10-10-2003, 06:38 AM
Tank looks awesome... but why use MDF stand? For what that tank costs, why not get make a nice hardwood, or even plywood stand?

EmilyB
10-10-2003, 06:40 AM
Welcome to Canreef Toe :biggrin: :cool:

ToeCutter
10-10-2003, 06:52 AM
Thanks sugah

eposer
10-10-2003, 02:12 PM
The stand is made from MDF simply because it's cheap and easy to work with plus you won't see it. The side panels and doors are getting covered in black leather textured formica with stainless steel handles for a sleek modern look. :biggrin:

Evan.

eposer
10-14-2003, 08:38 PM
Here are some not so great pics of the near finished product taken at 10:00pm and 12:00pm last night respectively.

testing the plumbing at 2/3 power:
http://www.eposer.com/pics/new_tank_03.jpg

Everything moved in from my 75g but still needs aquascaping.
http://www.eposer.com/pics/new_tank_04.jpg

One word of advice. DO NOT fill up your diy tank sitting on your diy stand with your diy plumbing at 11:30 at night if you want to have any sleep whatsoever. Every groan and gurgle and I was like "Oh crap It's cracking!!!:eek: So far so good though :rolleyes:

AJ_77
10-14-2003, 08:47 PM
I take it you're at home today... :biggrin:

What's covering the egg crate bottom now? Anything/details available?

eposer
10-14-2003, 09:06 PM
Nope, I'm working today. I just took a late lunch to put these up that's all.

There's nothing on the egg crate yet but it will be covered with sand soon enough. It's there to protect the bottom of the tank from me knocking rocks over and dropping them.

Evan.

Delphinus
10-14-2003, 10:54 PM
Very cool. :cool:

Some Q's for ya ... :eek:

Are the outputs we see there, the sump return, or is that a closed loop? Or one of each?

I can't quite tell from the picture, but does each successive downstream outlet extend a little further into the tank (stepped up from the previous)?

What are the outlets, is that loc-line or did you just use a bunch of 90's? Is each nozzle aimable?

What kind of sump turnover do you have? What did you do for a sump? How do you deal with microbubbles, do you have dams and baffles or did you go with a raceway?

How long did the tank have to sit empty to let the silicone cure? Was 24hrs enough or did you go with longer?

eposer
10-14-2003, 11:28 PM
Are the outputs we see there, the sump return, or is that a closed loop? Or one of each?

All from the sump return. Only one pump that way, and nothing hanging in the tank. I'm going for simplicity with this setup.

I can't quite tell from the picture, but does each successive downstream outlet extend a little further into the tank (stepped up from the previous)?

Nope they're all the same height. The end ones are extended to clear the corner triangles of my euro bracing.

http://www.eposer.com/pics/new_tank_05.jpg

What are the outlets, is that loc-line or did you just use a bunch of 90's? Is each nozzle aimable?

They're made of 3/4" black pvc irrigation fittings from Revy. Two 90 degree joints with a 2" extender between them to get down below the water level. This gives both vertical and horizontal aiming control.

What kind of sump turnover do you have? What did you do for a sump? How do you deal with microbubbles, do you have dams and baffles or did you go with a raceway?

I'm running an ampmaster 3000 so with the angles in the plumbing and the 5' head height you're looking at around 2700 gph when it's opened up all the way. I still have to partition the sump. I didn't really want to commit to anything before I could see the volume going through it. Any ideas? Right now I have some temp styrofoam baffles and a sponge to get rid of most of the micro bubbles.

Here's the plumbing and 33 gal sump prior to the makeshift baffles.
http://www.eposer.com/pics/new_tank_06.jpg

How long did the tank have to sit empty to let the silicone cure? Was 24hrs enough or did you go with longer?

I let the main submerged seams of the tank sit for 6 1/2 days to gass off. I believe most people reccomend 7 days for the acids to gass off.

Evan.

andestang
10-15-2003, 01:27 AM
Looks great so far :cool: How do you like your ampmaster 3000 - is it quite, etc. Thought about trying one, but have never come across one in any set-ups yet.

Jack
10-15-2003, 02:58 AM
That's such a cool tank. Wow..

Are you running the ampmaster with the ball valve wide open now?
How's the flow with it?

Quite the setup. Can't wait for some aqua-scaped pics!

Seriak
10-21-2003, 07:26 PM
Okay, no one has said it, so I will.

What kind of experience do you have building tanks. I have heard of so many tanks cracking due to inproper construction. I just want to know becasue I built an aquarium once for a lizard tank and it worked great and was dirt cheap. However, I just don't know if I can handle the pressure of knowing my entire investment in a miny reef is based on my expertise as an aquarium builder. '

How hard is it to make one?

I may have to come by and see it someday!

eposer
10-21-2003, 08:01 PM
First off the ampmaster is grrrrrreat! It's super quite and really moves alot of water. Plus at only 1W of power consumption the cost of running it is quite low for moving 3000g per hour. With only a 1/15 hp motor it's defenitely not a pressure pump so don't try to use it as one. So far I'm really happy. You might want to look at the sequence brand pumps also if you are concidering one of these. Lots of good info on reefcentral.com

Before this pentagon tank I had no tank building experience at all.

The important part of any successful diy project is doing your research up front. It's the little tips you find, such as wetting your finger before smoothing out a bead of silicone, that make all the difference.

Another thing to remember is the less you spend the less you get. For instance I probably could have gotten away with 3/8" glass instead of 1/2" and saved a couple hundred bucks. I went with the 1/2" and euro bracing simply for the peace of mind in knowing that there is no way the glass is going to crack from the pressure.

Always practice any new techniques before you start on your actual tank, that way you won't screw it up.

I have an aptitude for building just about anything so I think that helps a bit but really building that tank was much much easier than I thought it would be. As far as tanks cracking due to improper construction I'd say you need to do something really wrong for this to happen. Just take a look at the quality and attention to detail on some of the tanks at any lfs.
If you've calculated your glass thickness correctly, gotten clean straight square edges, used the right silicone and enough of it, and just as importantly put the tank on a stand that distributes the weight evenly then you're set.

I put the tank together by myself and finished it in a total of 4 hours spread over 2 evenings to allow for drying time. It would have been much easier and faster with two people and I suggest you have someone help you if you attempt a larger tank than 50g.

In my opinion anyone can build a tank if you do your research, get all the necessary supplies in advance, practice on some scrap glass first, and take your time.

Evan