PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use Lifegard Filter Modules

viperfish
03-03-2010, 04:24 AM
I have a chance to buy the chemical, mechanical and heater modules for a good price. Anyone use them? What are you're thoughts?

mr.wilson
03-03-2010, 06:52 AM
They work very well and last a lifetime. No leaks, very durable. They are a little top heavy so you need to anchor them to something. You can put them in a sump or out.

wickedfrags
03-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Not the new standard for setting up a new reef tank, but as noted above they do work well and last.

I have a chance to buy the chemical, mechanical and heater modules for a good price. Anyone use them? What are you're thoughts?

mr.wilson
03-03-2010, 03:48 PM
I agree that they may not be the best choice for all systems. I answered only how they perform, not if you should use them.

I prefer open media filters or filter bags over fluidized bed or sealed canisters for ease of replacing. The heater modules are safer than submersing a glass heater, but titanium heaters are very durable and can be mounted on a piece of styrofoam (at the top) so they float and keep the wire out of the water.

I like using a mechanical filter (pleated cartridge) but they are only effective if you clean them at least once a week.

Modules are best suited for a closed system without a sump, where everything is run on pressure in-line. Unfortunately, this excludes a refugium and protein skimmer unless they are treated as a separate entity.

viperfish
03-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Actually I don't really need the mechanical module because I use a filter sock in my sump, but I don't see any difference in the chemical module and any of the reactors that are available such as the TLF 150. Actually the Lifegard seems to be built a whole lot tougher than the TLF model.

mr.wilson
03-03-2010, 04:09 PM
I find the socks plug up too quickly and are virtually impossible to clean after they acquire biofilms. The mechanical modules really polish the water.

I agree with you on the quality, the Rainbow Lifeguard (now Pentair) unit is much more rugged than hobby quality media filters. If you are industrious enough to change the media every couple weeks, then go with a canister. If you have a tendency to let things slide periodically, then use a media bag, it will guilt you into pulling it out of the sump :)

You get a bit of splashing when you change out the media, so mount the module in a shallow rubbermaid or in the sump to catch the drips.