PDA

View Full Version : tube comming of pump

spikehs
10-08-2003, 06:00 PM
The tube for my submersible return pump keeps popping off, thankfully my parents heard it right when it came off so there wasn't toooooo much mess, but I need a way to keep it attached, obviously i can't use a metal clamp of any kind, so any ideas? thanks.

Skimmerking
10-08-2003, 06:17 PM
you can use the big industrial plastic clamps or if your pump is 1" reduce it to 3/4 " use a heat gun and put it in the hose connection
HTH

MIKe :mrgreen:

Aquattro
10-08-2003, 06:25 PM
obviously i can't use a metal clamp of any kind, so any ideas? thanks.

I've used steel hose clamps for 2 years without problem. They are submersed (and rusty), but I don't see any ill effects. Ultimately plastic is better, but if it were me, I wouldn't (and don't) worry about steel ones.

zulu_principle
10-08-2003, 07:07 PM
Didnt know that about the steel clamps, thanks.

Wendell

Delphinus
10-08-2003, 07:09 PM
Plastic cable ("zip") ties maybe? Click them one or two "ticks" tighter than the outside of the diameter and you can make that connection perhaps a little more snug?

Aquattro
10-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Plastic cable ("zip") ties maybe? Click them one or two "ticks" tighter than the outside of the diameter and you can make that connection perhaps a little more snug?

Tony, problem with that is you need to cut them off for maintenance. The hoses can get damaged from that. I have seen plastic clamps on one of the US mail order sites. Maybe ask in the DIY forum at RC

Jack
10-08-2003, 08:08 PM
They have them in Stainless Steel aswell but ultimatly I think they will rust anyways. Sure beats a flood though.

Delphinus
10-08-2003, 08:20 PM
Was just a thought. I use the zip ties over my mag18 running the bullet. It's not so snug that I can't eventually wiggle the hose off, but enough snug that it's a PITA to get on and off. I imagine that doing it this way is not entirely foolproof, but better than just a slip fit over those threads.

If I was running a mag drive on any more backpressure, I'd just get a threaded to barb fitting. If I was running a pump that didn't have a NPT outlet, and I was concerned about slippage, then I might consider juryrigging some kind of NPT piece onto it, either PVC cement or weld-on or epoxy or something like that.