PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tail Damsels

Werbo
03-02-2010, 08:51 PM
How aggressive are these little guys? I am thinking of adding 6 in my 120G.

Carmen
03-02-2010, 08:58 PM
I've never heard anything good about a damsel! Eventually they pick eachother off and the remaining Damsel will to be a devil towards any new additions. Wouldn't ever add one, even in a 120G. Just my opinion though...:wink:

Snufflupagus
03-02-2010, 09:07 PM
I totally disagree. I have 5 domino damsels, 5 green chromis, 3 Three stripe damsels, and two black and yellows in my tank and they don't cause any problems at all. They all get along, and have never bothered anything in my tank. Maybe I'm just lucky, but i highly doubt that.

rodsboys
03-02-2010, 10:22 PM
I have a yellow tail, a yellow belly, a bi-color,a four stripe, and a blue devil in my 135.They all get along well.There is the odd dispute,but no blood shed.I love damsels.Pretty,tough,and cheap.
I have had some in the past that were real a-holes though. It is hit and miss.Just like everything else in the hobby.
I say if you like them,then get them.

blacknife
03-02-2010, 10:30 PM
I liked my domino's but they did not like my maroons.. im sure if they had a bigger tank to play in they would have all got along though.

Werbo
03-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Great feedback. Please keep it coming.
Thanks, TW

RIPTANK
03-02-2010, 11:29 PM
They can be a real pain in the ass. Even when they're fed 3 times a day they can start nipping at some of your corals and the fins on some of your bigger fish. They especially love ripping bits of polyps when there's nothing to do. So yeah, they're tough, cheap and a pain in the ass.

Ian
03-03-2010, 04:27 AM
hardy as hell and mean as hell.....only have one and my pair of adult cinnamon clowns keep it in check but until I added these it was a bastard and ruled the tank

Werbo
03-03-2010, 03:43 PM
7-8 years ago in my pre-reef days I kept a six pack of YT damsels . I wasn't as observant as I am now but I do remember the 6 damsels each set up their own little territory and defended it against other YT damsels. It was very cool but it was like a bunch of pitbulls on imaginary short leashes. From what I remember they left the other fish alone as they were pre-occupied with the other YT damsels.

Will a six pack of YT damsels leave other fish alone and defend their territory against other YT damsels?

blueyota
03-03-2010, 05:39 PM
I have two of the meanest yt around they take cheap shots on all fish who come near there territory ....it kinda funny though my tangs will chase them into the rocks and try to wedge themselves in as far as the damsels go my hippo is just to big to get in there so she sticks her tail in the hole and starts swatting :lol::lol:

dsaundry
03-03-2010, 05:43 PM
I have 4 in a 27g tank with 2 small clowns, and no problem, the female clown is the boss, they can be aggressive to newly added fish, as they didn't take to well to a firefish I tried to intruduce, I do like the fact that they seem to stay quite small and I love the colour, but they can have an evil side to them:twised:

blueyota
03-03-2010, 07:58 PM
yea they dont really like new comers at all so i would try to make them your last edition or just dont add anymore peaceful fish after

fishoholic
03-03-2010, 09:22 PM
I'd say there's a 50/50 chance that they'll either get along or try to kill eachother off. Also most damsels will be ok with larger more agressive fish but fish like dartfish and wrasses most damsels will pick on relentlessly.

RIPTANK
03-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I must admit it is funny to watch them take cheap shots at the bigger fish when they're not looking. But it isn't so funny when your $80-$160 tangs end up with torn tail fins...