PDA

View Full Version : KIlling Valonia

Bryan
04-27-2002, 03:50 PM
Anybody have any trade secrets for getting rid of this stuff. My tank is becoming consumed by this bubble algae. I have tried emerald crabs, but they had no interest in the stuff. Trying to control it by hand is a lost battle.

canadawest
04-27-2002, 06:55 PM
Ditto to Darren's suggestion.

Depending on your tank size, get yourself 2 or 3 Emerald (Mithrax) Crabs and watch the Valonia (Bubble Algae) dissapear. They LOVE it, it's like candy to them.

I had a pair of Emeralds in my tank early on, but they eventually dissapeared 6-8 months later. Never saw bubble algae during that time. Bubble algae then started to grow in several places so I picked up a couple more Emerald Crabs two weeks ago. Almost all of the bubble algae is gone now!

They are busy little nocturnal workers, you wont seem them much if at all during the day, but at night they'll be all over your tank picking at algae, especially Valonia.

ruck'n'reefer
04-27-2002, 07:57 PM
Hey Andrew: where did you get your crabs? You are from surrey!! :D

Really though which store did you get the Mithrax crabs from?

Couldn't resist the shot. ;)

Bryan
04-27-2002, 09:58 PM
Like I mentioned in my first post I have tried the Mithrax(enerald crabs) and they didn't do a darn thing. Maybe I had a pair that were not interested. My crabs also disappeared after 6 months as well.

I recall reading that rabbitfishes will eat this stuff?

FishGeek
04-27-2002, 11:29 PM
The best sol'n for me was to take the infected piece out of the tank. and pick the bubbles off carefully without popping them. If you do end up popping some, just rince the piece off with old tank water. and then place back into the tank. This is something you can do after a water change.

Simon

DJ88
04-28-2002, 04:04 AM
Emerald crabs do a good job..

canadawest
04-28-2002, 05:56 PM
Hey Rob, good one! Ya got me there.... redface.gif

In regards to the ocean dwelling type of Emerald Crabs that I have, I got them from Seacare.