PDA

View Full Version : Tek T5 issue

Treebeard
03-02-2010, 06:36 PM
I have a 36", 6 bulb Tek T5 fixture which is giving me problems. Recently one set of lights randomly switches off and I have to toggle the on/off switch in order to turn the lights on again. The bulbs are on two sets of timers and the switches are rarely used. Is this a bad ballast? The fixture is almost two years old.

carnut
03-02-2010, 06:45 PM
when is the last time you cleaned the endcaps? Use a good contact cleaner on them and see if that works. Had trouble with only half the bulbs on my 8 bulb tek. 2 bulbs on each ballast, cleaned the ends, no probs for the last 8 months.

sphelps
03-02-2010, 06:52 PM
I'd also guess it's related to the end caps. Tek fixtures do not use waterproof end caps so if you're not using the acrylic shield you need something to protect the contacts. You can order replacement caps for fairly cheap, around $2 a pair I believe.

Treebeard
03-02-2010, 07:30 PM
I have never cleaned them, so I will try that first.

Treebeard
03-03-2010, 05:30 PM
I'd also guess it's related to the end caps. Tek fixtures do not use waterproof end caps so if you're not using the acrylic shield you need something to protect the contacts. You can order replacement caps for fairly cheap, around $2 a pair I believe.

Can the waterproof end caps be purchased in Canada or do I have to order them from Sunlight supply?

sphelps
03-03-2010, 05:35 PM
I was talking about the non water proof caps, same as what's in the fixture as replacement if the current ones are damaged from corrosion. Not sure if you can fit water proof caps in the fixture as they are significantly larger.

Red Coral Aquariums
03-03-2010, 06:06 PM
I have never cleaned them, so I will try that first.

If this does not work I have the ends in stock.
Kevin

Treebeard
03-03-2010, 07:00 PM
So much for my next question...thanks Kevin. I will be up on Sunday.

If this does not work I have the ends in stock.
Kevin