PDA

View Full Version : T5 BULB SELECTION + ARC T5HO Bulbs - Good or Bad choice of bulb question?

The Grizz
03-02-2010, 02:27 AM
Wondering if anyone has ever used ARC brand of T5HO bulb's. Are they any good for a reef tank that is 18" deep. I have 4 - 48" 4 bulb Odyssea fixture's for the 8' tank. 2 power cord's & switch's per fixture, so I was thinking of using the following per side:

2 - Actinic+
2 - 10,000K
2 - 12,000K
2 - 14,000K

OPINION'S????What are others using that have an 8 bulb fixture???

dreef
03-02-2010, 03:06 AM
I bought ARC off ebay when i first started using T5's.There a cheap bulb not quality like german bulbs.I swear by ATI,but can no longer get them so i switched to aquascience and am pleased with them too.Any german bulbs are top notch quality and par.

The Grizz
03-02-2010, 03:20 AM
Thanks I saw them on ebay as well and just wanted to know if they were crap or not. I would love to switch to all Aqua Sci or Giesemann but 16 bulbs will cost a crap load.

gwhit
03-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Just came across this thread and had to respond. I do not recommend these bulbs. I bought ARC bulbs after reading someone's comment that they were comparable to Giesemann and were manufactured in Canada. I ordered them from the operator of the Ottawa based marine forum. I was running the t-5 (Giesemanns at that time) on ice-cap and workhorse ballasts. I replaced the workhorse ballast at the same time and one of the bulbs blew as soon as I switched it on so I put the used Giesemann back in. When I came home from work the next day the tank was dark and I was horrified to find the one of the bulbs had cracked and the end cap had melted to the point it had to be replaced. Obviously the bulb had caught fire and somehow the whole fixture didn't go up in flames. So I put in another of my old bulbs and watched them carefully for a few more days. No more fires but the bulbs quickly deteriorated developing long black marks at both ends as if they were burning up. I replaced them all with a complete new set of Giesemanns that operated without any issues. I wrote to the vendor and after waiting forever for a reply come some sorry excuse that it had to be the ballast (even though the Giesemanns had no problem with the ballasts). I made a claim through my credit card purchase protection program and got full reimbursement for the bulbs so I didn't pursue the vendor any further. But I will never deal with that guy again and do what I can to warn people about these bulbs.

Now in terms of what to recommend. My LFS recommended ATI bulbs and I could be appear. In my opinion beats Giesemann by a mile and pulls the best colours from your corals. Fiji Purple bulb is recommended to enhance the reds.

Hope this gives some food for thought

TheMikey
03-03-2010, 10:08 PM
I would suggest reviewing your bulb combination. It's going to be very white and not going to give your inhabitants much *pop*. I'd suggest swapping the 10K or 12K with a 22K Geissman or Aquascience. You won't be losing a substantial amount of PAR and will make your tank nicer to look at.

Just my $0.02.

Millepora_Maniac
03-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Go with Korralen-Zuct T5's they are by far the best, Look at Canuckgod420's 72 g rebuild thread and you'll see why!! Unbelievable colour!

If you can't get them, than go with Geisemann, second best in my opinion. Cheers-MM

Ryan
03-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Go with Korralen-Zuct T5's they are by far the best, Look at Canuckgod420's 72 g rebuild thread and you'll see why!! Unbelievable colour!

If you can't get them, than go with Geisemann, second best in my opinion. Cheers-MM

X2 I recently switched back to T5HO and went with the KZ bulbs. I couldnt happier with the results but the bulbs are only as good as the fixtures. For a tank 18" deep probably not a worry as long as you keep the SPS high (if your going that route). I went with an 8 bulbs fixture from back to front
KZ 14K
KZ 14K
Giesman Actinic (no KZ in Stock at the time)
KZ Fiji Purple (Going to replace it with an actinic)
KZ10K
Giesman Actinic
KZ10K
KZ14K

The Grizz
03-04-2010, 02:44 AM
Just came across this thread and had to respond. I do not recommend these bulbs. I bought ARC bulbs after reading someone's comment that they were comparable to Giesemann and were manufactured in Canada. I ordered them from the operator of the Ottawa based marine forum. I was running the t-5 (Giesemanns at that time) on ice-cap and workhorse ballasts. I replaced the workhorse ballast at the same time and one of the bulbs blew as soon as I switched it on so I put the used Giesemann back in. When I came home from work the next day the tank was dark and I was horrified to find the one of the bulbs had cracked and the end cap had melted to the point it had to be replaced. Obviously the bulb had caught fire and somehow the whole fixture didn't go up in flames. So I put in another of my old bulbs and watched them carefully for a few more days. No more fires but the bulbs quickly deteriorated developing long black marks at both ends as if they were burning up. I replaced them all with a complete new set of Giesemanns that operated without any issues. I wrote to the vendor and after waiting forever for a reply come some sorry excuse that it had to be the ballast (even though the Giesemanns had no problem with the ballasts). I made a claim through my credit card purchase protection program and got full reimbursement for the bulbs so I didn't pursue the vendor any further. But I will never deal with that guy again and do what I can to warn people about these bulbs.

Now in terms of what to recommend. My LFS recommended ATI bulbs and I could be appear. In my opinion beats Giesemann by a mile and pulls the best colours from your corals. Fiji Purple bulb is recommended to enhance the reds.

Hope this gives some food for thought

Prefect this is exactly what I wanted to hear. I have Figi Purple in my 155 and don't like the color.

I would suggest reviewing your bulb combination. It's going to be very white and not going to give your inhabitants much *pop*. I'd suggest swapping the 10K or 12K with a 22K Geissman or Aquascience. You won't be losing a substantial amount of PAR and will make your tank nicer to look at.

Just my $0.02.

Now this is what I wanted to know.Thanks

X2 I recently switched back to T5HO and went with the KZ bulbs. I couldnt happier with the results but the bulbs are only as good as the fixtures. For a tank 18" deep probably not a worry as long as you keep the SPS high (if your going that route). I went with an 8 bulbs fixture from back to front
KZ 14K
KZ 14K
Giesman Actinic (no KZ in Stock at the time)
KZ Fiji Purple (Going to replace it with an actinic)
KZ10K
Giesman Actinic
KZ10K
KZ14K

Not going SPS unless I can figure out how to keep alive. Another good choice of bulb options. Thanks

Kryptic4L
03-04-2010, 03:26 AM
right now I run

3x ati blue plus
2x ati aquablue spezial
1x kz figi purple.

imo i would much rather run the blue plus over actinics

The Grizz
03-07-2010, 03:06 AM
Well after having a visit with Kevin @ Red Coral Friday I have made a decision on bulb selection.

Going with:

2 - ATI Aqua Blue Special
2 - 10,000k (ATI or KZ)
2 - 15,000K (ATI or KZ)
2 - Fiji Purple

Per side of the 8' tank.Thanks again Kevin

mike31154
03-07-2010, 03:43 PM
I've been using the ARC 10,000K lamps for several years on Workhorse 8 ballasts with no issues. Recently added a small 12 volt fan blowing on the end of each lamp and they're working really well. No sign of black marks on the ends and I've been overdriving them.

I've also used the 'Actinic' ARC lamps in the past, but noted after looking closely at the product description, they are not 'true' Actinic lamps. Was not aware ARC lamps were available in anything but 10,000K and 'Actinic'.

Currently running two ARC 10,000K for morning and evening lighting, with 2 x 250 watt 14,000K Plusrite (another cheapo brand) MH lamps taking over for the mid day photo period. My BTA, a few LPS and softies are all doing fine with this lighting arrangement. I'm not a fan of the bluer lighting prevalent in many SW setups these days.

beauroy
04-04-2012, 06:27 AM
can anyone recommend the best 6bulb t5 combo