PDA

View Full Version : Cyanobacteria?

T-Dizzle777
03-02-2010, 01:45 AM
I have just set up a salt water Bio Cube 29, previously owned. I saw the tank set up, and he disassembled the tank the day after, putting the live rock in some water so as not to kill it. The live rock seems to be doing great, and I've got some hair algae growing, as well as some other living organisms that I can see (clams etc.). The problem I am having is I am getting decent portions of cyanobacteria growing in the tank. I have a molly in there to test the water and the molly is doing fine. I've just recently set up the skimmer and I've got a power head growing. I am also going to do a water change tonight. I have also been limiting the amount of light to about 4 hours or less day, today for only 1 or 2. Can anyone think of what I am doing wrong or what I can do manage it?

The tank's been set up for about 3 weeks.

Reef_kid
03-02-2010, 02:16 AM
as a biochem/microbiologist i am all for antibiotics, cyano bacteria is inhibited by
Amoxicillin acts by inhibiting the synthesis of bacterial cell wall,
and binds to the ribosomes of the bacteria. inhibiting transcription

erythromycine binding to the 50s subunit of the bacterial 70s rRNA complex

i turn of my protein skimmer and take out all chemical filters.

and treat the tank after sucking all the cyano out of the tank.

I get them by asking the pharmacy (wallmart)
or my family doctor ... say you need erythromycin for acne! :p

i use about 1000mg per day on my 90 gallon for 2-3 days.

i keep sps/lps/softy.. for 10+ years and i treat cyano 2 times a year...
normally due to temperature raises to induce spawning in bangaii cardnals.
which just layed eggs-_- this very hour-_-

Seamazter
03-02-2010, 04:30 AM
Dont you find using a antibiotics also crashes your biological filter? you kno the one that took you about 30 days to setup?
Using any type of antibiotic like you suggest will do just that kill everything in its path, not just he easily cured cyano.
Also using antibiotics in your tank then doing a water change, introduces antibiotics into the water table creating unkown havoc on the sewer treatment plants.
Definintly dont use antibiotics.
Anyone else on this with me?

fiorano
03-03-2010, 01:32 AM
just up the flow and dont have your lights on for as long... itll run its course eventually

banditpowdercoat
03-03-2010, 02:23 AM
just up the flow and dont have your lights on for as long... itll run its course eventually

Yup :D