PDA

View Full Version : External Return Pump

Jaws
03-01-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm trying to design a sump that will fit into a certain space and the only way I can do it is if I have the external pump connected to the bulkhead with a 90 degree elbow instead of straight off the bulkhead. Is this possible or does that restrict the intake too much? Thanks in advance.

Funky_Fish14
03-02-2010, 06:22 AM
Nope it can work just fine. I prefer to ensure I use a large diameter plumbing (say 1.5 or 2" ) as 'far' as I can to the pump's intake. Try to use slightly larger hose than the pump's intake size and you should be fine.

Cheers,

Chris

banditpowdercoat
03-02-2010, 12:37 PM
I have 2 elbows into my return pump. But also larger size plumbing to lessen restriction. Works great

littlesilvermax
03-02-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm trying to design a sump that will fit into a certain space and the only way I can do it is if I have the external pump connected to the bulkhead with a 90 degree elbow instead of straight off the bulkhead. Is this possible or does that restrict the intake too much? Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't do it with 1 inch plumbing, it would likely work OK, but ehhhhh.

1.5 inch is likely lots, 2 inch is over-kill, but it doesn't hurt.

Even if you can't fit 1.5 inch and the bulkhead is 1 inch, up it to 1.25 inch and then have a 1.25 inch 90. That 1/4 inch actually makes a 56% difference in flow capability.