PDA

View Full Version : More than one type of clowns in a tank??

bwi7
03-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Hi need some advice,
Just purchased an already established 180gal tank, once everything has cycled, and we're ready to transfer our corals and fish from our 90gal to the new tank, plus the original fish from the tank (currently in our spare tank). Waiting till we can introduce everyone at the same time. Our question is, we have three percula's roughly 7 or 8 years old in our current tank, and we have some newly aquired anenomes, can we introduce a different type of clown into the tank at the same time? Ones that might be attracted to the Sebea and/or long tentacle anenome.

Doo
03-01-2010, 09:37 PM
My Gold stripe maroon would not tolerate it...

if you have a pair it might be a little difficult.

reef_to_reef
03-01-2010, 11:59 PM
I dont think it would be a good idea, if your clowns are that old I dont think they will like any other clowns comming in the tank, I tried it with my clowns and didnt work out well. You have a much larger tank tho so it could work !

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-02-2010, 01:24 AM
Not usually a good idea.

Clowns don't seem to tolerate other species, even in a large tank. Percula/False Percs/Skunks may be ok, since they are less aggressive, but most other species are not so friendly to neighbours.

Anthony

no_bs
03-02-2010, 01:26 AM
We thought it would work, each on their own side of the tank (in a 5ft with center island) but eventually had to remove the one pair, as they were picked on.

bwi7
03-02-2010, 03:51 PM
That's pretty much what we thought, we were just hoping that with this 6' tank they might stay in their own territory. Oh, well. Anyone had any luck introducing a couple of different tangs in a tank at the same time?

Coleus
03-02-2010, 04:57 PM
well, i start with a pair false perc in my 150 gallon on the right hand side and then in couple months I put pair of Black Onyx True Percula on the left and a Tomato clown in the middle. The reason i can do this because I bought them along with their anomonies/frogspawn host.

For the first couple days, the female of false perc show aggression to true percs but got chased aways because it is 2 vs 1 battle. And now, one pair is on the left and others is on the right. The big clown tomato is in the middle and is the boss, she shows aggression to both pair of clowns when they swim to middle of the tank and eventual chase them back to their hosts. It has been 4 months now and no loss in fin or whatsoever, just a little bit chasing here and there by the clown tomato when dinner time.

I am very happy with my tomato clown because she helps separating these clowns.

Good luck :-)

ponokareefer
03-02-2010, 05:30 PM
I tried this not too long ago on a 4 foot long 125 gallon tank. I had an established pair of Ocellaris Clownfish since the summer, and tried adding a pair of skunk clowns. Initially, they Ocellaris Clownfish divided the 2 skunks apart, and started going after each one individually. After the first day though, the skunks got back together, and only the female Ocellaris Clownfish was going after the 2 clownfish. This went on for quite a while until eventually, i removed the female Ocellaris Clownfish. The male Ocellaris Clownfish could care less that the skunk clowns are in there, and the skunks vice-versa. I'm going to try adding a small Ocellaris Clownfish to pair up with the one that is currently in there.
I gave this a try because I read on reefcentral about people doing it successfully. It was tense when the fighting was going on and my midas blenny was trying to play referee with little success.

Bob
03-02-2010, 06:27 PM
my maroons don't have any problem with my ocillarous

bwi7
03-03-2010, 07:25 PM
My breeding female clown has just decided she likes the white sebea anenome in the last two days. So we thought we try and put the LT purple anenome at the other end of the 6' tank and the sebea and the coral that they lay their eggs on at the other end of the tank. Keep in mind we haven't put anyone in the 180 yet. Any recommendation on what type of clowns to try, if they don't get along after a few days we'll just transfer them to our 48gal. as we're going to sell the 90gal once everything is transfered.

ponokareefer
03-03-2010, 07:52 PM
The less aggressive and smaller clownfish are the Ocellaris Clownfish, Percula Clownfish, and Skunk Clownfish. Cinnamon's, Tomatoes and Maroon's are known to be the most aggressive clownfish. The remaining types are somewhere in between.

Coleus
04-02-2010, 05:50 AM
Well after 7 months peaceful since i introduced another pair of percula. My tomato clown was acting like a referee that prevent one pair from travel to another pair host. Yesterday, he took a day off and the warfare started and now all fours are fighting for one host. GREAT, now one pair has to find a new home.