PDA

View Full Version : How to clean containers

ickmagnet
03-01-2010, 08:00 AM
I just bought two food grade 55g barrels to store water when I do my tank change. They are food grade and smell like they had juice in them. They are pretty clean but I want them perfectly safe so that there are minimal contaminants. How would I clean them? Just water? Hot water? Laundry soap? Dish soap? Don't want to see my fish and coral dead.

Thanks

Kevotron
03-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Warm water w/ a lil bleach followed by a few rinse ?

kien
03-01-2010, 08:36 AM
I washed mine with vinager. Although I'm not sure why you shouldn't be able to use dish soap? We eat with stuff cleaned by dish soap :-). Just make sure you rinse it good?

MrsBugmaster
03-01-2010, 03:11 PM
This site has helped me in the past. See the "removing ordor and stains section.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

ickmagnet
03-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the article. I had a quick read but I don't have several days and sunny weather to do the proper clean.

Looks like dish soap and warm water it is.

Thanks everyyone

dsaundry
03-02-2010, 12:51 AM
I would be more inclined for a mild vinegar solution than soap. Just my 2 cents.:biggrin:

daddy01
03-02-2010, 01:17 AM
I have a 45 gallon plastic foood barrel that contained fruit mix for a bakery I use for storing RO/DI water.
I went to the local homebrew shop and got the stuff they use to sterilize/clean bottles for home brew and used that then rinsed well a couple of times.
Haven't had any problems in a year of use.
Jim

Stephanie1974
03-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Heh everyone,

I have a solution for all of you...not just for use in fish stuff. I use them all over my house. Lemon joiuce and baking soda. Bleach can leave remnents on the container. It is time consuming to rinse over and over and is a waste of water. It also doesn't break down mineral build up. Lemon juice is natural, it breaks down minerals if soaked for a bit and then wiped(glass is squicky clean, plastics look like new after cleaned) and it isn't poisonous. Baking soda can help with odor and can be used as a light scrubber too. Mix both to clean sinks, taps, tubs, metal comes shiny, sinks come clean, counter tops etc are clean and naturally disinfected. I have used this since I was a young teeneager with my fish stuff and house cleaning. I hope you have a fun time cleaning with your new cheap find. :biggrin:

DCDN
03-02-2010, 02:32 AM
I usually use a water vinegar solution