PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion needed

Coleus
03-01-2010, 03:49 AM
So I am thinking of setting up a nano tank at my workplace that will only have corals (argg maybe one lion fish)

I am curious if this is a good idea because i won't be there on the weekend or long weekend. Is is bad idea?

Is it possible to set up a coral tank only with minimum supervision?

What is the best size to start with? and what corals you think will suit the best?

Thanks

superduperwesman
03-01-2010, 04:34 AM
What kinda place you work at?

kien
03-01-2010, 04:35 AM
all I know is nanos will drop in water volume fast due to evaporation and their small volume to being with. When that much water is lost in a nano salinity raises a lot and quite quickly. You need to stay on top of that with a jug of water next to the tank or ATO :-) Evaporation over the weekend would not be good at all.

Coleus
03-01-2010, 04:40 AM
What kinda place you work at?

i am working in an office. Yeah i was thinking of having the ATO with a huge water bucket beside it.

ponokareefer
03-01-2010, 04:54 AM
My tank is at an office, and as was already pointed out, make sure you have an ato. Other than that, if you go with only corals and a lionfish, you shouldn't have a problem. I used to have an automatic fish feeder, but they never seemed to work for more than 6 months, so I stopped using them over a year ago and have had no problems. My tank does get fed 6 days/week though, not just 5.

Kryptic4L
03-01-2010, 06:16 AM
:/ says the people with open top's AIO would be an excellent choice with some pc's as the temp dont get to high, and evap is very low.

BC564
03-01-2010, 02:37 PM
I have a 14 gal Bio cube at my office....so it has a closed top....water evaporation is not an issue......the tank is thriving....just make sure you do a small water change weekly. I have a 2 inch sand bed.....with a sand sifting gobey....two clowns in a small anemone ....snails hermits....emerald crab.....serpent star... its a happy place. about 8 different corals. Sorry for picture quality.....camera phone

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd218/BC564/Photo_030110_001.jpg

Coleus
03-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Yeah, i am facing huge dilema whether setting up a bio cube at work place to take care of all my lps or sell them. If i keep one at the office, i will only have tap water to play with, not sure if it is a good thing.

If i am going to set up the bio cube, i definitely will try to get T5 and close top.

Is bio cube easier to take care than normal tank?

kien
03-01-2010, 05:55 PM
another challenge with a tank at work is when you have to go on customer site trips or on vacation.. unless you have competent co-workers.

Coleus
03-01-2010, 06:01 PM
another challenge with a tank at work is when you have to go on customer site trips or on vacation.. unless you have competent co-workers.

Hmm I don't have competent co-workers :-( crying. I love this hobby as much as hating it sometime. I love to get some angel in my tank but once i sold couple pieces of my lps, i really feel sad. this is why i come up with the idea of having a tank at my workplace

Another tank in the house won't go well with my wife. Kien, you are very very lucky man.

Arggg,

BC564
03-01-2010, 06:05 PM
For going out of town or vacations..I just have a co worker drop in some food pellets every couple days. If your going to do a tank at work....I would definately go with the biocube 14 or 29. You can go longer on water changes if you need to but wouldnt make it a habit.

kien
03-01-2010, 06:07 PM
I understand your pain.. it is really tough sometimes to decide between a beloved coral and/or fish. Or even between two fish as sometimes there is a lot of incompatibilities that we try to turn a blind eye to.. but eventually it catches up to us until we can't ignore it any longer :-( There is usually no easy answer to the dilemma.

kien
03-01-2010, 06:10 PM
For going out of town or vacations..I just have a co worker drop in some food pellets every couple days. If your going to do a tank at work....I would definately go with the biocube 14 or 29. You can go longer on water changes if you need to but wouldnt make it a habit.

Or you can put on an auto-feeder. Those work well too. And if you have a ATO then you don't really need a co-worker for that. You would just need to train someone up in the event of an emergency. No different than with your tank at home, except that you may not trust your coworkers to know what to do in the bad case scenario.

BC564
03-02-2010, 02:51 PM
I have found that on my biocube 14 that I only have to add maybe a glass of water every week.....the water cant evaporate out which is why I love the lid design.