PDA

View Full Version : Auto Top Off

MMAX
02-28-2010, 03:00 PM
I asked someone in here before about this but now I can't seem to find the thread. I need some ideas for a low budget do-it-yourself auto top off system.

kien
02-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Do you have kids? :lol:

MMAX
02-28-2010, 03:15 PM
One 9 month old.

Carmen
02-28-2010, 03:34 PM
How big is your system? Are you looking for a gravity fed ATO or pump-style?

blueyota
02-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Do you have kids? :lol:

:biggrin::lol:

MMAX
02-28-2010, 04:11 PM
System including sump about 150gal. Probably looking at a pump style system. I should have asked...what do kids have to do with it?

kien
02-28-2010, 04:21 PM
System including sump about 150gal. Probably looking at a pump style system. I should have asked...what do kids have to do with it?

Kids are a very economical ATO solution. Although you won't be able to apply yours for a little while yet, so carry on. :lol:

I use AutoTopOff dot com's auto top off solution on both my tanks and have been for a while now. The thing I like about theirs is that there's a backup shut off switch. You can easily make your own employing the same components and I tried but I could not find those float switches in the city for the life of me. If you can find those float switches you're off to the races. That's pretty much all it is. Mount float switch, when water drops, float switch activates your ATO pump which pumps fresh water into your tank which raises the float switch back to the OFF position.

Ron99
02-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Kids are a very economical ATO solution. Although you won't be able to apply yours for a little while yet, so carry on. :lol:

I use AutoTopOff dot com's auto top off solution on both my tanks and have been for a while now. The thing I like about theirs is that there's a backup shut off switch. You can easily make your own employing the same components and I tried but I could not find those float switches in the city for the life of me. If you can find those float switches you're off to the races. That's pretty much all it is. Mount float switch, when water drops, float switch activates your ATO pump which pumps fresh water into your tank which raises the float switch back to the OFF position.

+1 on the autotopoff.com units. they are priced well and work well. You could probably build one yourself for a little less but then you have to source the parts, assemble etc. So if you want to spend a little more you can have a plug and play solution.

MMAX
02-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. I work in the oil & gas industry so I have a good understanding of level controllers and access to suppliers although most of ours are pneumatic. I'm sure if I do a bit of digging I could find an electric one.

mark
02-28-2010, 04:47 PM
recent thread (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61096)(ATO w/float valve and gravity or my case direct ro/di)

ner'T'
02-28-2010, 07:37 PM
If you dig around on autotopoff.com's site they list parts and sell the float switches pretty cheap.

madkeenreefer
02-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Personaly I like these guys http://aquakit.ca/ they have done well bye me in the past as a matter of fact I was just working on my own DIY ato using their parts.
I found them to be well priced aswell

russp
03-01-2010, 01:40 AM
I just finished a DIY ATO on my 72 gal with 25 gal sump , it cost me about $30 & an hour & works great . I use bottled RO water for top up so I just drilled a bottle top , inserted 2 - 1/4" clear vinyl tubes.
1 is connected to an Aqua lifter pump that sends the water to a 2 way valve on the sump then 1 side of the valve is connected to a $6 humidifier float from Home Depot , the other side of the valve acts as a recirc line back to the water bottle when the float shuts off. When the bottle is empty all it takes is a cap swap & its good for another 3-4 days.