PDA

View Full Version : Help: mixing water

Coleus
02-28-2010, 05:28 AM
I keep getting this cloudy water every time i mix my new water. Here are my step

1) Prepare RO/DI water
2) put calc / mg additive and leave it for a day to mix
3) put in the Reef Crystal salt
Water becomes cloudy and my ph and temp probe are coat with white powder

Anyidea why?

Thanks

Chase31
02-28-2010, 05:32 AM
they should disipate after a little bit, why dont you add them all at once? couldnt hurt theres nothing in the water.

Coleus
02-28-2010, 05:36 AM
well i remember i read some thread discussing about the problem with adding them all at once which can cause precipitation.

burrows14
02-28-2010, 05:39 AM
unless you already have tested the bucket of salt perameters I would add the salt then test to see what you need to dose. I dont use IO but I used this procedure when I was using kent salt

Coleus
02-28-2010, 05:46 AM
I know exactly what i need to dose to bring all parameters up. If i dose after the salt mix then i get even more precipitation :-(

burrows14
02-28-2010, 05:51 AM
how long are you leaving between dosing and adding salt?

burrows14
02-28-2010, 05:53 AM
also what color is the precipitaion and how long do you let everything mix together before adding it to your system?

Coleus
02-28-2010, 05:58 AM
how long are you leaving between dosing and adding salt?

24 hours between dosing and adding salt

then another 24 hours before adding to the tank

The color is white or greyish

burrows14
02-28-2010, 06:05 AM
Whats the alk at? I know if my alk is on the low side and I add calcium I get a snow storm in my tank kinda like what your describing

Coleus
02-28-2010, 06:11 AM
after adding the salt, my alk is 10

kien
02-28-2010, 06:33 AM
I thought reef crystals had high(ish) levels of calcium and magnesium? Isn't that why it is more expensive than Regular IO?

Anyway, these days I dont dose my new salt water (I dose my main tank) but after mixing my heater and the inside if the mixing drum is coated with a fine white/brown powdery substance. I read that this is normal with regular IO. Not sure if it is the same as your powdery substance tho. It has been like that for me for a long long time. Doesn't seem to affect anything and I just accept it :-)

Coleus
02-28-2010, 07:09 AM
well, i tested it serveral times with several different buckets of reef crystals and they are not any near what they claim on the bucket label so I have to dose to bring it to match with my tank params

I am experiencing the white/brown coating just like you do. It is not affecting anything but i have to clean the container and heater after mixing water which sucks

kien
02-28-2010, 08:31 AM
well, i tested it serveral times with several different buckets of reef crystals and they are not any near what they claim on the bucket label so I have to dose to bring it to match with my tank params

I am experiencing the white/brown coating just like you do. It is not affecting anything but i have to clean the container and heater after mixing water which sucks

This is why I just stick with regular old IO. So many people report that the claimed levels on the bucket are false. I'm sure you get some buckets that do match, but in my opinion, if you're paying that much for a pale of salt and they claim those levels then there should be those levels! No exceptions. Otherwise you're paying for a very very expensive bucket of regular IO :lol:

I don't clean the heater or the trash bucket.. i just leave it! :lol: Well, maybe clean it out once every few months. I did test it for ammonia and nitrates and phosphates which there doesn't seem to be any trace of so I'm not sure what that film is :-)

Doug
02-28-2010, 03:33 PM
For sure, you're getting a precipitate. Adding magnesium and calcium to regular IO, usually prevents that from happening and I have had none for years, since switching to that particular method.

I use to leave the mag & ca over night also but now just mix it a couple hrs. before adding the salt. I do add the mag first and let it mix awhile before adding ca.

Sounds like the alk is to high for some reason or the extra calcium RC is suppose to have. Like Kein, same reason I stick with IO.

Coleus
03-01-2010, 03:43 AM
oh man, i guess i will have to go back to IO once my 3 RC buckets are gone. In the mean time i will try to mix mag first then ca and see if problem still occurs.

Thanks guys