PDA

View Full Version : Would this be ok?

Brent Shaver
02-27-2010, 03:45 AM
Well I have solved the size vs wife delema. So here is what I would like to do and I need to know if it is a mistake or would work ok.

I am going to get a stand fabricated that will not only hold the tank but allow me to stack it above my Cichlid 110. This would leave my 50 gallon as a sump. Now here is where I am confused if it will work.

The 50 will fit under my 110 leaving about a 2 1/2" opening at the top before hitting the bottom of the stand. I have no problem doing the drilling (having it drilled not me..lol) to ensure the plumbing runs properly, but need to know if by doing it this way am I creating a future problem by not having acess?
The only other way would be to have the 50 sitting on a rolling shelf but would create an issue with the plumbing.

If this is possible and I could fit all the stuff for the reef tank under my cichlid tank I could go as high as another 110 for this reef tank..

Although this scares the livin .... out of me, I have this warm fuzzy feeling that just wont go away. I really want to make this stack system work if at all possible. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brent

P.S.
I figured I would put a link to my 110 Cichlid tank just in case someone likes FW or wants to see what tank will be below the reef.
I have
19 Malawi Chiclids
1 - 9" pleco
60 lbs coral sand/gravel mix
30 lbs Coral rock
40 lbs Lava rock
2 - 200 watt Marineland Steath Pro shatter proof heaters
2 - Eheim Professional II pumps
Glass top - 2 "4' flouresence strips
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac318/Soundman41/African%20Chiclid%20Tank/full1102.jpg

Chase31
02-27-2010, 05:32 AM
well look what you want for skimmer your skimmer has to fit, all your plumbing would have to fit in there, always give yourself as much room as possible so your not kicking yourself in the butt later, also to have the reef on-top it will be hard to move stuff and fiddle with it (im doing it alot in my 30 G)

kien
02-27-2010, 07:58 AM
ya, 2 1/2 inches doesn't sound like a lot of room at all! Not sure how you would get any skimmer in there, unless you got it in, then moved the 50g sump in place and then just kept the skimmer in there forever! :lol: Not a recommended plan btw as you will inevitably want/need to clean out the skimmer. Then there's the issue of cleaning out the skimmer's collection cup!

You will save yourself the agony by giving yourself more room to work with under there. There's lots of stuff that goes on in your sump that you'll be tinkering with forever!

Brent Shaver
02-27-2010, 12:49 PM
ok seems I wont be using my 50 to do this so I am back to building one. As you all know I am new to this so sorry for the multiple questions.

If I was to build one, since I really want to store/hide it under my 110. What depth do I need to have for sure to make this an effiecient unit? I dont mind making it longer vs higher to maintain the water volume but dont want to build it to only have it not be enough. Everything I have read states it is best to get the most water you can combined so would really like to try to stick to the 50 gallon size if possible.

I know fiberglass will not emit toxins once it is cured so was thinking I would make this out of wood then coat it with fiberglass to give strength and of course to ensure no leaks.

Am I dreaming to think I can accomplish this under my tank?

Thanks for the quick responces.
Brent

Chase31
02-27-2010, 04:42 PM
never heard of fiberglass, but id say try to keep the 50G and give yourself atleast a foot, maybe more? not sure

cuz
02-27-2010, 07:08 PM
remember to keep in mind as well that its nice to be able to reach into your tank to the bottom without a 6ft ladder!!