PDA

View Full Version : Purculla

Chase31
02-27-2010, 02:59 AM
my new perculla

okay so the reason im posting this is beacuse i belive its a really good shot, and im not such a good photographer... so hopefully you guys like it
(taken with a high quality cannon)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w16/warchase31/IMG_2064.jpg

bvlester
02-27-2010, 05:37 AM
is he still young or just on the short and stubby side... Just jokeing good shot of him though.

Bill

Chase31
02-27-2010, 05:40 AM
just got him today so there about an inch and a half

bvlester
02-27-2010, 06:19 AM
Yup pretty small make sure to feed flake with garlic I have found the small one susceptible to ICK, the garlic will help. QT everything that goes in the tank for at least 7 day if you don't see anything out of the ordinary you may add but be carefull 2 -6 weeks of QT is recommended. This not only gives them time t get over the stress of transporting from down by the equator to your house in a short time it can give them time to fatten up and boost their immunity system

The Grizz
02-27-2010, 06:31 AM
Nice shot Chase, captured his/her's good side.:lol:

Chase31
02-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Yup pretty small make sure to feed flake with garlic I have found the small one susceptible to ICK, the garlic will help. QT everything that goes in the tank for at least 7 day if you don't see anything out of the ordinary you may add but be carefull 2 -6 weeks of QT is recommended. This not only gives them time t get over the stress of transporting from down by the equator to your house in a short time it can give them time to fatten up and boost their immunity system

there the first two fish in the tank so im not as worried about them, but the problem is i dont have a QT :(
AI's fish are quarentiend for two weeks in there tanks, so there facing the stress of there to my house

im going to go to AI today to grab some garlic fx or w/e... what kind of flake food do you suggest? i got mysis and fed them last night.

JDigital
02-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Hate to be the bearer of (possibly) bad news, but that is an Amphiprion Ocellaris (Ocellaris Clownfish), not Amphiprion Percula (True Percula Clownfish). And definitely not a Purculla..:wink:

Usually a substantial difference is price between Ocellaris and Percula, Percula being the more expensive one. Hopefully your LFS didn't sell you a Ocellaris at Percula Prices.

Nice looking Clown though.

bvlester
02-27-2010, 05:37 PM
You can setup a small 10g tank for QT and have it running all the time for when you buy something new onthe spur of the moment buy I keep a couple damels init at all times to keep the bio load up. also have a hermit and a bumbee snail that came with a rock it's either there or the sump.

BillAI QT for 2 weeks that would make some of my choices easyer as in where to buy, There is still chances that your tank may get some thing but it would be cut in half at least. Good to see they have started to do this When I lived in Edmonton tey did not do any QT get fish in and get them out the door was the way they did it back then. I was there when they setup the first 2 rows of salt water tanks.

Bill

outacontrol
02-27-2010, 08:33 PM
just my two sense, don't trust anything that the LF tells you about them doind a full two week QT. I have seen AI put new livestock in there display tanks many times, and the display tanks are all connected together. (well maybe not all, but several are banked together) In the past buying cichlids from AI the fish were always sold by the wrong name, 3 times I thought I was buying a certain fish from AI only to have it grow up and be a totally different one.

Chase31
02-27-2010, 09:13 PM
they were only around $20 thanks for fixing the name for me i wasnt sure, that was kinda a guess by me

es355lucille
02-27-2010, 11:00 PM
JD how do you tell the difference? I am looking at this fish.....but I would not have a clue how to tell the difference between Ocellaris and Percula.

Brad

Hate to be the bearer of (possibly) bad news, but that is an Amphiprion Ocellaris (Ocellaris Clownfish), not Amphiprion Percula (True Percula Clownfish). And definitely not a Purculla..:wink:

Usually a substantial difference is price between Ocellaris and Percula, Percula being the more expensive one. Hopefully your LFS didn't sell you a Ocellaris at Percula Prices.

Nice looking Clown though.

JDigital
02-27-2010, 11:13 PM
JD how do you tell the difference? I am looking at this fish.....but I would not have a clue how to tell the difference between Ocellaris and Percula.

Brad

Percula have quite a bit thicker black "border" lines around the white sections. 1 Extra Dorsal Spine 11 compared to 10 (usually only countable when fully grown). Some say they have different eyes as well but in my specimens I haven't seen that. Not that I knew at the time of my post, but price also plays a role. Ocellaris can be had for $20-25 whereas the usual price for a Percula is $40-45, CDN anyways. Liveaquaria prices their Ocellaris @ $12.99 and the Percula are $21.99USD, so almost double.

Hope that helps, couple pics just incase. :biggrin:

Ocellaris Clown:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-69560-clownfish.jpg

Percula Clown:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-39092-True-Percula.jpg

Chase31
02-28-2010, 12:53 AM
well from your pictures i prefer the Ocellaris Clown over the perculla anyways

bvlester
02-28-2010, 12:59 AM
Percula have quite a bit thicker black "border" lines around the white sections. 1 Extra Dorsal Spine 11 compared to 10 (usually only countable when fully grown). Some say they have different eyes as well but in my specimens I haven't seen that. Not that I knew at the time of my post, but price also plays a role. Ocellaris can be had for $20-25 whereas the usual price for a Percula is $40-45, CDN anyways. Liveaquaria prices their Ocellaris @ $12.99 and the Percula are $21.99USD, so almost double.

Hope that helps, couple pics just incase. :biggrin:

Ocellaris Clown:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-69560-clownfish.jpg

Percula Clown:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-39092-True-Percula.jpg
True percula's have 10 some times 9 dorsal spines but never 11. False Percula's have 11 dorsal spines all other feature can show up in either fish. the only true way to tell it the dorsal spines.
I have had both types and right now I have perculas 3 in total one in my kids tank is a miss barred one I like her best.
Bill

Chase31
02-28-2010, 01:06 AM
anyways, i went to AI and got some garlic guard (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12022) and pellet food its.. um new life spectrum marine fish formula (http://www.marinedepot.com/fish_food_new_life_spectrum-ap.html) and i soaked the food and they both ate like 5-6 pellets each... there pigs!

JDigital
02-28-2010, 02:53 AM
True percula's have 10 some times 9 dorsal spines but never 11. False Percula's have 11 dorsal spines all other feature can show up in either fish. the only true way to tell it the dorsal spines.
I have had both types and right now I have perculas 3 in total one in my kids tank is a miss barred one I like her best.
Bill

I have never seen a Percula with thin black striping like an Ocellaris. Color Pattern differences for sure a tell tale sign in many peoples opinion. My bad on spine count, I don't normally count spines, as you can tell visually. :wink:

Either way, the OP's is an Ocellaris, and a nice one at that. :)

bvlester
02-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Definitly both are nice fish and Ocellaris is a bit more hardy by the way and not as prone to ICK or Brooklynella for that matter. AI usly has some tank raised clowns they are also hardyer.

Bill

Chase31
02-28-2010, 03:42 AM
Definitly both are nice fish and Ocellaris is a bit more hardy by the way and not as prone to ICK or Brooklynella for that matter. AI usly has some tank raised clowns they are also hardyer.

Bill

yes these were the tank raised, i checked today and they say perculla clow, but i dont care they were $22

kien
02-28-2010, 08:42 AM
purculla sounds like a catfish :lol: